Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 1317 times)

Online KeithG

Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
I do agree about the Nation pulling together but the media and especially Labour just seem to always try to drive a wedge between it all and stop progress...
Nostalgia is a thing of the past

Offline castle261

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
The mood of the nation is great at the moment, everyone pulling together,

Online Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »
Hi Lyn. I'd like to think that kind of thing was the "mood of the nation". There was also the call for volunteers, and over a million stepped forward, IIRC. The Clap for Carers every Thursday. The whole "Sir" Captain Tom phenomenon and those who donated. Within hours of the lockdown a chap from our road put a note through everyone's door offering help for those self-isolating.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:25 PM »
A friend of mine has been making PPE bags amongst others for NHS staff, after they had enough locally the rest were sent to Care Homes etc, my sewing machine has seized up  ( lack of use ) so I couldn't help. Well done to all those volunteers.

Online Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
It would be hard to expect much in the way of positive news at the time of a global pandemic.

The UK press is indeed in a strange place right now. I've seen lots of articles praising those brave NHS workers who died. There's been many stories covering folk fund raising for NHS. What about those articles covering the creativity of groups making PPE off their initiative for NHS staff. Here's an example of a positive story in the Daily Mail, which shows the mood of the country and the press being pretty much in synch.(I have some Kent ones saved somewhere).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8281103/amp/Heroic-staff-PPE-just-time-thanks-Mail-Force-charity.html

Offline Lutonman

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
I had similar question when we shut our church hall for hire. I was asked how long was it to be before we reopened!

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »
It seems that the requirements for a newsreader now are, " can you find the bad news & keep worrying it to death?" e.g.Rolls Royce having to sack many of their workers. I'm sure that, like me the Chief Executive was itching to say, " how the hell should I know" (or something more graphic!) when asked " when are you likely to get back to normal?".

Online MartinR

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
Agreed.  Even before the Covid outbreak the appearance of Kuenssberg or Peston meant that there was nothing of value to say, just an opportunity for self-promotion and point-scoring.

Offline Lutonman

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
I just listen or read the latest daily Gov't statement and switch channels rather than listen to the questions which are just point scoring or repeating old ones. Sure there will be a time to review the way the situation was handled but surely not yet.

Offline Longpockets

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2020, 06:31:01 PM »
“Journalism is missing the ‘mood’ in this great country of ours - the United Kingdom. We do not want or need blame. We do not want constant criticism of our Government who are doing their very best in a very difficult and unprecedented global emergency… But time and again we see our negative press trying to trip up our politicians instead of asking questions that will provide positive and reassuring answers for all of us.”

I am unsure where this originated from but apparently it has been widely quoted on social media.

Do they think the government is doing something that is not right because they feel like or want to, there are probably reasons for their decisions as the emergency has moved forward, that we are not aware of. Once the situation has improved I am sure the witch hunt will start. I think I heard today there was signs of a blame game between politicians and Civil Servants.

I have tried to stop listening to the media questions each day after the briefing, I for one am not interested in the media trying to score points. It is not good for my stress levels.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2020, 05:27:37 PM »
MartinR. Please don't think I was knocking the NHS, I fully appreciate how difficult it has been & still is, for them; they are obviously top of any list. KeithG. Thoroughly agree, the Government are doing their best & I'm sure no decisions are taken lightly, they have to rely on people who are employed as experts in the subject. Trouble with the media is that no news is good news.

Online KeithG

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
While we are on the subject of "thanking".......i have not heard or seen printed any thanks to Boris and his Government?

They are doing the best they can over an unprecedented moment of this country.

All people do is knock them and say they could of done better!........these people just waste valuable time in fighting this virus they are just a hindrance and they should of all pulled together.

I stopped buying any newspapers as they only print bad news never good news i  save £10 per week and are far happier.

Nostalgia is a thing of the past

Online MartinR

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
In an interdependent society we all rely on very many groups.  It's nothing new, there's a humorous Scots song pointing out that weavers were essential in c.1800: https://sangstories.webs.com/warkotheweavers.htm Once you start on the list it will grow to encompass most of the workforce: mariners, dockers, electricity workers, rail, gas, shops (vital link between the farmer and my stomach), sewers, undertakers - the list is nearly endless.  The special praise that the front line care staff have been getting is in recognition of them going into hazardous places (ICUs) and taking risks with their health.  Rather like the front line soldiers who go into combat.  Nothing to decry the "back room boys", but the risks at Bletchley Park were rather less than those at Gold Beach.  Likewise working hard in the open air largely on your own is a lot safer than crowding around an intensive care bed.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
We have seen lots of " thank yous" to various groups of workers & I'm certainly not decrying any of them but I've seen nothing about agricultural workers- our Land Army. They're still doing their 07.30 -18.30, 6 & 7 days a week, up here in SW Scotland & I'm sure elsewhere, to keep us fed with fresh vegetables, milk, meat, etc. We're also probably getting quite a lot from the Continent ( M2 & M20 busy as ever?). Certainly the A75 from (Belfast)/ Stranraer is still fairly busy, so Eire & N.I. are still exporting. So, here's to the agricultural workers & farmers, plus all the associated lorry drivers., without whom life would be extremely difficult. "Good on You".

Offline castle261

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
mmitch -- That`s only one & a half rolls, per person, in Britain !