Author Topic: Measurements old and new  (Read 538 times)

Colin walsh

Re: Measurements old and new
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 06:29:57 AM »
Hi,mostly light hearted problems created by decimilation ,but in at least one instance change of systems had a some what different effect .
I refer to the change in ionizing radiation regulations as used in the nuclear industry.the original dose rate was based on the REM -radiation dose equivalent  man,a whole new ball game compared to CIVERTS. SYSTEM ,

smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »
I like that Smiffy very witty       

Smiffy

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
If they're selling them in packs of four for £1 then they might just be able get away with it  :D

MartinR

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
Interesting case of abusing the old measurements.  Aldi are selling packs of "quarter pounder" burgers.  Each burger is 73g.  A quarter pound in 113g!  More than a little naughty.

Dave Smith

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
As this thread was getting very Model Railways orientated, I've started another under that heading for it seemed there were many who knew a lot about the subject & might make the thread very interesting.

Dave Smith

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »
Smiffy. Good lord! I remember talking with a chap with an Z gauge layout in a small suitcase; he said the problem was keeping dust off the rails for the slightest bit stopped the engine. p.s. I should have said N gauge as the next one down before Z, sorry.

Nemo

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
I had TT, 3mm to the foot, or 1/100. Shame the 12mm track only represented 4 feet, you just had to remember not to look at trains head-on.

Smiffy

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:56 PM »
There's even a "T" gauge now which is less than half the size of "Z" gauge!

Dave Smith

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
Nemo. Of course the continentals used HO, same track size but slightly different rolling stock. For my son- in my youth, I had O gauge- we bought  2nd hand TT, which I thought was by far the best, as small enough for a decent layout but not silly small like Z.

MartinR

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
@Dave: Well caught (from last year), two mistakes in one post, must be going senile.  It's just as well that I didn't make that mistake doing my Yachtmaster/Coastal exam last autumn.  :-[
BTW, 1 nm is 1.85 km, so near enough 2 unless you are doing serious navigation in metric (and if so - why?).

Nemo

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
I also grew up in "Imperial" days but, when you think about it, wasn't it strange, before and after the change, that OO gauge modelling (1:76) was always a mixture, being 4mm to 1 foot.

Dave Smith

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
I've only just come across this thread & have read it with interest. I was born in 1930, so have only ever used Imperial; although towards the end of my working life, metric- or SI- was very much in vogue. I felt sorry for those who started metric at the change over for so much was - & still is, eg mph- in Imperial. Dave TT; yes, acre, they built houses then at 10 to the acre which put it into perspective. JohnF; I always used Btu's, & it was so easy to check out 3Btu's /ft3 to give a good indication of room heat loss. MartinR; afraid you are x60 out with the latitude. 1nm is 1minute of arc, not 1 degree. I nm is approx. 1.15 miles or 1 mile is approx. .9 of a mn.  In kms, " gawd knows"!

Smiffy

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:11 PM »
I know what you mean, pr1uk. The old imperial units - although not as practical, feel to me more relatably "human" and not as coldly scientific.

pr1uk

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 07:20:01 AM »
I always work in feet and inches and really only understand fahrenheit, sad I know to some but that's me

MartinR

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
DTT, I suspect you may be a bit younger.  I was taught imperial units and how to do long multiplication/division on them in AY 1966/7.  My brother who was 2 years behind me was taught metric.