Author Topic: Citadel Battery - Dover Western Heights  (Read 117 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline cliveh

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Citadel Battery - Dover Western Heights
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
Citadel Battery is situated to the west of the Western Outworks of the Citadel on Dover’s Western Heights. It commands extensive views of the seaward approaches to Dover from both east and west. It was constructed between 1898 and 1900 to house three 9.2” Mark X BL (Breech-loading) guns. Its primary role was to be counter bombardment of enemy shipping in the Channel.
 Construction commenced on the 19th July 1898 and was completed and handed over to the Royal Garrison Artillery on the 31st March 1900. It’s three Mk.X  9.2” guns were installed on their barbette  mountings between 1901 and 1903.
The Battery’s life could have been very short-lived as a 1905 Report of the Committee on the Armament of Home Ports criticised it’s location and recommended it’s dismantling and replacement with a new battery at Lydden Spout. Despite this report the battery remained in commission and it’s close defences improved in 1907 with the addition of two parapet mounted Maxim machine guns. In 1910 the machine-guns had their parapet carriages replaced by tripod mountings and in the December of that same year No.2 Gun was removed to Woolwich never to be replaced.[size=78%]
The remaining two 9.2” guns and the two machine guns continued as the battery’s armament into the First World War until, in 1916, the machine-guns were withdrawn.
After the War, in 1919, two 6lb practice guns were mounted on the 9.2” weapons and in 1934 an anti-aircraft Lewis Gun position was established in a Type 23 pillbox at the western end of the battery.
During the Munich Crisis of 1938 the Battery was manned by the 46 Co. (Kent) Royal Garrison Artillery whose personnel were accommodated in The Citadel. The on-duty contingent consisted of:
3 x 13 men gun detachment
1 x Master Gunner
21 men in ammunition supply
2 men stores and lamp-room
2 R.G.A. Artificers
1 orderly / trumpeter
4 dials operators
1 man other duties
An identical contingent was kept on stand-down.

The Battery was in operation during the Second World War, manned by 295 Battery Royal Artillery, until November 1943 when it was put on ‘care and maintenance’.[/size]