Author Topic: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !  (Read 1233 times)

Offline castle261

Re: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Good reply ------------TH

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
Not hiding anymore than others who don’t provide their full name. 😁
AlanTH

Offline castle261

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
Now Theodore seems to foot the bill
do you have it, want it or have it still
`Tis a name to be proud - President
Roosevelt was it`s best --   resident

Keep it, love it, say it ----- with pride
TH ----- what are you trying ti hide ?

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
Hi Dave. Maybe I didn’t explain it correctly..... my father worked in the old No 18 shop when with Shorts which became Blaw Knox after Shorts left.
I think he then went to Guildford or somewhere with them after they left Rochester.
I did my apprenticeship at BK and started at the old No. 18 shop.
AlanTH.

Ps. No the TH doesn’t stand for Thomas. Keep guessing. 😁

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »
Alan TH. During my self isolation(5th week now), I've found that re-reading KHF posts an interesting past time. It struck me that when you mentioned your dad working at Blaw Knox after transferring from Shorts, one of my friends, Roy Thomas did just that. So is TH, Thomas?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
No worries Colin. Dad was on HMS Clarkia for most of the war and always spoke very fondly of his time serving on her. I uploaded some of his photos to the Flower Class Corvette Forum. Enough of that though as things are starting to go a bit off-topic :-X

Offline Pete

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
chanced googling Canopus Column, came up with https://100objectskent.co.uk/object/canopus-flying-boat-steering-column/    seemingly at Guildhall Museum Rochester

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2020, 01:09:39 AM »
Smiffy, apologies I got confused with castle261 blog.ref dockyard "rabbit club"fiddles,I know it rude of me to confuse you gentalman,.
Unfortunately I suffer from meniers disease ,mainly affects balance,but sometimes can muddle my thinking,so will control my posting to lucid times.
Mei culper Dominus

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2020, 12:54:12 AM »
Smiffy,the flower class corvette was a really good kit,I built one many moons ago,my father allso served on one, HMS Daffodil ,he allways said"the *****things would roll on wet grass"never quite understood the meaning of that?.
I see you made model aircraft as a rabbit in the yard,my rabbit was making Napoleonic cannons,had a chap in the effluent treatment plant turned up beautiful brass barrels for me,allways good quality wood laying about for gun carriages and wheels,specifically when the ward room was being refitted on the nuks,refference the control column the Canopus pub,had it was offered at auction of flying memrobelea many moons ago,along with some artifacts of Sir Alan Chobham,one being a photograph of the"winkle"I think a story was told of a pilot landing it and then being found dead by the tender crew.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »
Colin. When I visited Rochester museum, there was a model Sunderland in the display cabinet at the entrance- but that was it! Maybe the other models are in the basement, for they took all my tools, photographs & other memorabilia to put in the basement for a, hopeful, new display of Shorts when they have the space. That will be the day! I only once saw the Mayo & Mercury flying, just before WW2. The Saro SA1 was the first jet(gas turbine) powered flying boat, made by Saro, not Shorts, in Southampton- I think- they probably had a lot of help in the fuselage "planing bottom" from Shorts who had a very long test tank for that purpose. Castle 261.You made a model of the M/M composite in metal? Wow, that needed some doing, congratulations on your fortitude over 2 years. What a great pity they were lost. I made a 1/72nd scale Sunderland in wood-all my models were in wood as plastic die cast were not available during the war. Dad could always get me some offcuts from the Yard! And we had a model club at the County School where we could purchase coloured dope in small amounts for painting the models. Smiffy. They did tell me at R.museum that there were some item at the new council offices in Strood but as I was on a flying visit, I didn't have time to go there, maybe that model is in their basement? What happened to the control column from the Canopus I wonder. I'm sorry that I don't live in the Medway towns now for there is a lot of interest to investigate.( C19 would have scuppered that anyway!) 

Offline MartinR

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
Pub's closed and I think it's now flats.

Offline Pete

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:19 PM »
The Canopus pub at Borstal had the control column on display, no idea if it,or thr pub, still exist

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
After the council moved to the old Wingets building, I clearly remember the Mayo/Mercury model on display in the foyer. But as has been mentioned previously - what happened to it?

Colin - I have a model kit of a Flower Class Corvette which I had the intention to build as the one my father served on during the the war. After I bought it I didn't have the time and then had to move to a smaller place, so it's been on "indefinite hold" for years now!

Offline castle261

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2020, 11:31:06 AM »
Strange Dave Smith, about the model of the Mayo & Mercury.
Well while i was in the nuclear section, in the dockyard, I made a model of them, took two years.
I got a book from Chatham library, about the two. I collected as many tins as I , Later people were collecting them for me. I searched the dockyard for a suitable soldering iron. Then ( later ) I stumbled on an electric soldering . There was a `hot plate` in most cranes, I was using a hand soldering iron then. Night shift was best for good work. The driver of the crane on two dock, often looked in on me.
I may be able to post a photo of them, in the avatar. He helped me to get them out of the dockyard.
They got lost, when I moved into my present flat in 1994.   

The models were about the same size as the Shorts models -- 16 -- 18 inch wingspan.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2020, 05:43:49 AM »
Dave Smith,sad to hear there is no Short Bros section in Rochester mesueam,wonder what happend to all the wonderfull models that were on display just inside the main door in the mid fifties ?the curator then ,a Mr Boulton ,told me Thay were gifted to the corporation by Shorts management,recollect there was a fairly large scale Sunderland flying boat,plus a beautiful Mayo &Mecury composite,and my favorite a Saro ,in fact I clearly remember looking at this display started me on a life long "thing"about model air craft,still build today ,though my pension finds it hard to cope with the ridiculous prices of modern kits,.😱