Author Topic: Customs & Excise !  (Read 119 times)

castle261

Re: Customs & Excise !
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
Yes Battery Corner was in No 1 basin, but at the north east corner.[size=78%] 464 batteries, on non nuclear subs, weighing half a ton each. [/size][/size][size=78%]Five nights work for the removal, same for returning. I have worked on them.[/size]

stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
I think I can answer that one. As far as I'm aware and I stand to be corrected, Battery Corner was at the western end of No1 Basin, opposite Upnor Castle.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:48:41 PM »
Where was Battery Corner in the yard, Castle261?
Cheers
DTT

castle261

Customs & Excise !
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
While working in the boiler house at Battery Corner in Chatham Dockyard, a young Irish lad
was in charge, when a Customs & Excise man bought in a sack of confiscated cigarettes.
in a sack. ` Open the boiler door lad `. The fire was burning brightly. He proceeded to take
packs of 200 cigarettes, then into the boiler. some packets miss the the door, & dropped to
the floor. While the man`s back was turned, getting more cigarettes out of the bag, the Irish
lad pushed a couple of packets, out of the man sight, or so he thought.`Come on lad, put them in`.
So ended the lad`s FREE issue of cigarettes !