Author Topic: Watery Trail  (Read 2087 times)

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Watery Trail
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 02:49:56 PM »
Link to Wikipage for HMS Boadicea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Boadicea_(H65)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »
A little further research has revealed the destroyer with her pennant number shown as HMS Bodicea.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 11:17:04 AM »
Absolutely fascinating, thank you so much for sharing it. Sailing Barges, once the lifeblood of trade on the Medway, carrying all manner of cargoes. Flying Boats at Rochester, what looks like an early Short Sunderland, destroyers moored in the river. There were a couple of Monitors in what looked like the No1 Basin at Chatham Dockyard and a Revenge Class Battleship off Sheerness. Plus footage of the Medway Queen in action. Brilliant stuff!
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 05:50:43 PM »
Many thanks MartinR. Although I will avoid boats at every opportunity, the difference between then and now is superbly highlighted by the activity on the river.
I think that the crane loading sequence looks like dried woodpulp bales for paper making. They are heavy (voice of experience heaving them around on a summer job in Lloyds Mill Sittingbourne) and the complete lack of Heath and Safety is astounding to modern eyes, as with most of the industrial scenes. Emission controls? Snodland under its white cement dust blanket...
Thanks again.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 01:25:46 PM »
Very, very, interesting - I spy with my little eye - THE Mercury flying boat - also a Floating Dock - outside the Yard. The  No 6 Floating Sheerleg Crane,
Brought over from Germany - after 1918 - (in 1922 I believe) - The Paddle Boats - bring back happy memories - Strood, then Southend, then Margate,
then to Clacton. You had a half an hour ashore - then it came back - We only did it once.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:09:54 AM »
Thank you for posting that MartinR, I'll have a look at it when I'm in an area with better reception.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Watery Trail
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 10:54:35 PM »
Here's a link to an 1938 film (B&W, silent) which traces the River Medway from its source to Sheerness.  It was posted on an announcement notice by the MSBA.  It's fascinating, particularly Maidstone and below.  The amount of industry using the river is staggering when you compare it to today.  There's even tall ships and flying boats.
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-watery-trail-river-medway-1938-online