Author Topic: Reginald Wells seaplanes  (Read 15421 times)

Offline DaveTheTrain

Re: Reginald Wells seaplanes
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 08:59:49 PM »
An interesting find Cosmo, it piqued my interest to look at Graces Guide, where I note that Palladium  made aircraft in WWi.  The price list for a Palladium can be seen here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/c/c9/Im1917Red-p162.jpg

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
Thought I'd share this image I found. Type of lorry used to transport aircraft. Apparently now between 1913 to 1931.  :o

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
I wonder if that's his two sons sitting in/standing behind the plane in the factory.

Nemo:

I hadn't noticed that before. Checking with family photographs I have, it looks highly likely. Well done!
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »
Smiffy. That's what I thought- potter to aircraft manufacturer seems far fetched. Could be the old " not what you know but who you know"!

Dave:

I think from "knowing" this man for a while writing and researching about him it was more about his personal positive manner. If he thought of an area, he could see no reason for it not to succeed for him. He clearly thought aircraft was an area he should be involved in, especially in the pre-war days of the WW1. So he became involved. To him it was that simple. To start up, his aircraft factory he took out a huge government loan. Which in the end didn't prove to be very successful.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 11:41:45 PM »
I missed out the best character in the Wells Aviation Co. The Italian Submariner reservist who taught British aviators. Started instructing at Hendon before joining Wells at Cobnor Aerodrome.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Cosmo, Amazing that you've found out all this, many thanks. Who'd have thought that a potter who had a great interest in aeroplanes, would end up with a factory to manufacture them! Apart from the advert saying they were agents & builders of the Benoist flying boat, there doesn't appear anywhere about them actually doing so for certain. Unless you know otherwise?

There seems to have been an eclectic bunch at Wells Aviation. Besides Wells at the head, there was another notable artist/sculpter as his right hand man. The aircraft designer was a building architect!

They seem to have eventually built one Benoist seaplane, which never got to fly. At the time of going broke they had ordered but not yet built a replacement.

Offline Nemo

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 08:33:00 AM »
I wonder if that's his two sons sitting in/standing behind the plane in the factory.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
I'd still like to know the story behind the aircraft photo in Mike's article. I'm also interested in aviation and a better resolution image would help so much identifying the people and location.

Where was it taken? It appears to be an important image yet come to a halt with it!

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Cosmo, Amazing that you've found out all this, many thanks. Who'd have thought that a potter who had a great interest in aeroplanes, would end up with a factory to manufacture them! Apart from the advert saying they were agents & builders of the Benoist flying boat, there doesn't appear anywhere about them actually doing so for certain. Unless you know otherwise?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
How did you come by the photo of the biplane in the hangar Mike? And what were you told about it? Where was it taken? It's likely dated post mid-1918. Was Wells still involved in manufacturing aircraft himself then?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »
I've been provided with an example of another period aviation designer who started with model aircraft making. Second link shows what these models of the time could do! Five foot wingspan and flights up to 560 yards powered only by rubber bands!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_%26_Grimmer_M.1

http://en.wikibedia.ru/wiki/Cyril_Ridley#Early_life_and_aircraft_building

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
Thanks Mike,

To save further distraction in looking for information that you already know. Do you know why and when R.F.Wells went to the USA? That may be an important part of the Benoist seaplane link.

It would also be helpful to expand on Seymour Wakeley and this additional interest in seaplanes he had?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »
Finally got to view the text from The Aeroplane dated July 7 1915. The first paragraph shows Wells as pilot of the Reo in a test run at Hendon.....

"Mr. Wells was also out during the morning on the "Reo," and had the misfortune to taxi into a Service machine which happened to be on the ground. The "Reo" being of substantial build, the Service machine came off second best, but no one was hurt."

Later in the same edition is an advert for his firm.

"Aeroplane manufacturers may be interested to know that Messrs. R. F. Wells and Co., the constructors of the original and well-built Reo biplane, are prepared to receive orders for aeroplane parts and to construct complete units such as planes, fuselages, rudders, empenages, elevators, etc.
The firm is competent to do welding, brazing, wire splicing, etc., and aeroplane builders should find it well worth their while to address enquiries to 10a, Elystan Street, Chelsea, S.W."