Author Topic: `The Cut `  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: `The Cut `
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »
Yes Colin, I do remember you. Good to see you here.

Lots of people from the old forum have been joining this one, sometimes you don't recognise who they are at first because they choose a different forum name.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »
Hi Smiffy ,so do I ,even contributed a line or two,you may remember me,I used the logo "signals99"
Good to know you are still around🆗

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
I remember the discussion about the landing craft accident on the old forum - it went on for 27 pages!

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
Fire stationchatham viaduct,recall it being used as the control center by the RN when a landing craft fell from a low lolder just under the viaduct(town hall side)it was there for a couple of days ,caused traffic chaos ?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
Crop from a photograph which I believe is the official opening of the new viaduct and the fire station which was moved from Military road. There is what looks like a horse drawn fire appliance of some kind, and behind it and just to the right is what could be an early motor car.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
I think I remember the siren, wasn't it opposite the railway station on top of a telegraph pole? Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but that's what pops into my head.

Oh I remember the siren calling in the firemen after all not many had phones in their houses in those days and the siren worked well as it was loud enough to be heard by local firemen.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
Yes, there was two red fire engines based there. If the fire station was manned by the N.F.S.
It would have a man or two on either, day watch, or night watch.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Near the kiosk and advertising hoarding is exactly were I remember the siren being, thanks for the confirmation. My Mother lived in Rochester street for a while, as did my Aunt.

I'm sure I read something recently about an old cannon barrel being found under the floor of the fire station while they were doing some building work.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 01:59:08 PM »
The siren was down near the railway station somewhere Smiffy,I thought it was near the tobacconist kiosk.

We lived in Rochester Street in the 60's/70's and two of our neighbours were firemen, that I thought were based there permanently.They had bell's fitted in their houses which summoned them...............

Malc,
I think you are right about there being two engines there. Can't have been a lot of room inside which maybe supports your recollection of no pole and maybe only a tiny mezzanine floor. I'm wondering whether only one or two firemen were stationed there permanently and if the "shout" warranted it then others were indeed summoned by the siren or by bells in their houses.
Its over sixty years ago, but my money would be on the siren being on a pole by the kiosk.

Alec.

snodlandmalc

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:51:07 AM »
The siren was down near the railway station somewhere Smiffy,I thought it was near the tobacconist kiosk.

We lived in Rochester Street in the 60's/70's and two of our neighbours were firemen, that I thought were based there permanently.They had bell's fitted in their houses which summoned them,the nearest one lived over the road from us and we would hear it ringing in our house ! they would roar off down the road in his car and then we would hear the siren start to sound.
I was given a quick tour round there when I was about eleven,so its a bit hazy,but I thought there were two fire engines in there.I remember being disappointed that they didnt have a pole,I think there was a narrow flight of stone steps against the side wall that must have gone up to a mezzanine floor but I cannot remember anything about that part.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 12:21:47 AM »
I think I remember the siren, wasn't it opposite the railway station on top of a telegraph pole? Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but that's what pops into my head.

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »
I only remember it as a part time station during `1941-- 1945 `maybe there was one fireman,
to open up the station, maybe one of the A.F.S. fireman who lived near, had a key ?

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »
Was this station permanently manned? I'm sure I remember as a kid a couple of blokes dashing down the bottom of Ordnance Street and running past the railway station on their way to duty, summoned by the siren? Would have been 1957 approx.

Alec.

Offline castle261

`The Cut `
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
The former N.F.S. station, later A.F.S. station in `The  Cut `under the New Road bridge at Chatham,
has been transformed in to a cafe. My next door neighbour, was a part time fireman there, during
the 1939 war.