Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1039664 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7712 on: December 02, 2022, 05:46:03 PM »
Is it The Chalk Tavern, 30 Bassett Road, Sittingbourne?
Annette Roberts?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #7711 on: December 02, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »
Once again, I will pass on this one .I dont want to get blackboarded for taking to many guess's. :)

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7710 on: December 02, 2022, 05:00:23 PM »
Behind the old pub is a small public open space, referred to as ******* Gardens. It used to be more park like with fences and entrance gates, but these are now gone.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7709 on: December 02, 2022, 12:19:30 PM »
I have emailed the location to the troops, and must again thank everyone for their assistance.
By the way that is me and my other sister playing, watched by our brother in law. My elder sister (who took the picture) was nearly 14years older than me, and the one in the photo 4years older.
Right come on, roll up and find the dead pub - in Swale by the way.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7708 on: December 01, 2022, 11:06:49 PM »
Well spotted JW.  I suspect that the camera was at TR 34153 70572 (or 51°23'09"N,001°21'50"E if you prefer).  It must have been low tide, and the family were fairly well out, slightly to the east of the end of Westcliff Road.  On the skyline to the right of the photo you can see the house with the distinctive turret, this is number 1 Royal Esplanade, on the corner with Westbrook Gardens.  The slipway at the foot of Westbrook gardens is behind the family, as is the ramp leading up from Westbrook Promenade.  The latter looks like it leads directly to the Royal Hospital, but is actually at some distance, perspective is playing tricks here.

For those of us relying on maps, it is only fair to point out that this is Westbrook rather than Margate itself.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7707 on: December 01, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Super sleuth JW strikes again  ::)

Many thanks once more

Just one more - this angle shows the chapel and spire.
(I enjoy these searches :)  )

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7706 on: December 01, 2022, 08:05:19 PM »
Super sleuth JW strikes again  ::)

Many thanks once more

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7705 on: December 01, 2022, 08:01:00 PM »
Staying with the family photo, here's where I think it is.

The area outlined is all new-build so would now be very different to your photo.  The arrowed spire in the background would then be the hospital chapel.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7704 on: December 01, 2022, 06:30:03 PM »
Looking at the shadows, they are at about 60°, so probably early afternoon.  At midday the sun is due south, moving to the west, so the shadows should point north or north-west.  If at midday the land is to the east of the beach, curving around to the north.  If later in the day then the land is to the southeast, curving around the east of the beach.  I did wonder about Whitstable, but there is not enough of a rise from the beach.  Herne Bay is pebbles, not sand.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7703 on: December 01, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »
Thanks JW. I tried to fit it in with GSV of Margate and gave up. However there are some first floor projections that look very similar along the front past the clock tower.
I'll try again when I'm bored one rainy afternoon - should have plenty of chances the way the weather is...

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7702 on: December 01, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »
I  think your photo is Margate - (More accurately, Westbrook Bay which is next to Margate).  The building in the background looks like Margate sea bathing hospital.  The hospital, or what's left of it, is now des-res apartments.  It's very much changed now so comparing with current GSV is quite difficult.

I've also found your closed pub GTP but will give others the fun of trying to find it  ;D

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7701 on: December 01, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
OK back to the usual.
This is a dead pub. Listed on the Dover website as closing in 1998. Urban.

One of my sisters went to school with the then publican's daughter. Clue, it was Sheerness Tech.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7700 on: December 01, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »
Apologies for the delay folks, Sainsbury's got the better of me this morning...
I will post a proper GTP later today, but in the meantime I have a question. Where was this photo taken? Margate or thereabouts is favourite, and the background contains a few clues, spire next to large roof, a tall building (with scaffolding?) left hand side etc.
Likely taken 1959/60, the fellow in the trunks is my late brother in law. My eldest sister died recently, and when looking through the archives I found this, and their children wondered where it was taken. She, and two of her children live(d) in Perth WA so 1950s English seaside holidays are a bit different to those that their families enjoy down there.
All help appreciated. Normal service will return late pm.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7699 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:53 PM »
31 years living at Broadstone, opposite the [size=78%]old Grafty Green garden centre gave me a feeling for the locale.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Next one tomorrow.[/size]
[/size]

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #7698 on: November 30, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »
Well Done John Filmer , :)
You obviously are familiar with Headcorn.
Over to You.