Author Topic: My future contributions to this group, or lack of.  (Read 7260 times)

bertroid

Re: My future contributions to this group, or lack of.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »

Words nearly fail me on this. Why would anyone want to bully someone who researches things and tells others of his findings? Are they intent on changing history as is going on in other areas so much lately?
To say I'm disappointed that this has happened doesn't really express how depressing I find it although I may never visit the towns of my birth ever again. All the best to you Bertroid, I don't know you but really feel your pain.
AlanTH.

Fine words AlanTH and I agree.  I have asked if possible that bertroid leaves his Mill postings on this forum. I think they are well researched and a valuable resource to have. As he is the copyright holder and the owner of the posts, it is up to him of course. It would sad to lose bertroid and his posts however.

I wondered what the forum top-poster, KeithG thinks about this?

Mike

Mike and Alan, I appreciate your efforts.  I've deleted about half of them, and most of the ones that I can't delete have been modified with the words

'Deleted, so it can't be plagiarised (ironically)'

The 'Top poster' had a good read last night, and unusually didn't feel the need to comment!

I'll do the rest when I've got back from work, and popped into a Kentish windmill currently under repair today, just to offer the contractors advice.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »

Words nearly fail me on this. Why would anyone want to bully someone who researches things and tells others of his findings? Are they intent on changing history as is going on in other areas so much lately?
To say I'm disappointed that this has happened doesn't really express how depressing I find it although I may never visit the towns of my birth ever again. All the best to you Bertroid, I don't know you but really feel your pain.
AlanTH.

Fine words AlanTH and I agree.  I have asked if possible that bertroid leaves his Mill postings on this forum. I think they are well researched and a valuable resource to have. As he is the copyright holder and the owner of the posts, it is up to him of course. It would sad to lose bertroid and his posts however.

I wondered what the forum top-poster, KeithG thinks about this?

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »

AlanTH.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »

Hi Bertroid, I think it is a great shame that you are considering withdrawing from the Forum, I did not even know such behaviour as you describe occurs here. Having attended a talk on Kent windmills at the 'Chatham Historical Society last year I found the whole subject of these old structures quite fascinating.
The forum will be a poorer place without contributors such as your self and I for one will be sorry to see you go.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 07:24:48 AM »

Thanks Dave...

Just to add this particularly unpleasant chap started doing this on the old forum about seven years ago, and I'd rather not let his pathetic trolling get in the way of my research.

I will let the forum know somehow when I've finished the next volume.

I for one would like to see your research when complete. I wish you well and sorry to see you go. Please don't delete your material on windmills. They are an important source of detail, for others.

I say again, no one - that  is,  no-one should feel they have to leave a forum because of the bully actions of another. Those days have gone and perhaps we ought to have measures that cover this sort of forum bullying in the forum. A kind of member safety net. A sad mindless bully will always pick on someone. From the comfort of their computer screen, as they think they have Immunity. If this forum is to continue there have to be changes and bully's named openly after warnings given. If we want to be a serious forum, this has to happen. I appeal to Stuart to make these changes to protect forum members but more, the new members that join in. They mustn't be bullied and frightened away. I now know the name of the bully in this example, he has done exactly the same in other forums. He will not continue his destructive comments in this forum. Or perhaps I should walk away as well and leave the 'bigman' to his quest. I am just a member here, but this is my opinion. That must count for something, if it doesn't I will leave. The Kent History Forum - Bully's not welcome.

Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

bertroid

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »

Thanks Dave...

Just to add this particularly unpleasant chap started doing this on the old forum about seven years ago, and I'd rather not let his pathetic trolling get in the way of my research.

I will let the forum know somehow when I've finished the next volume.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »
This is a great pity.  I see it on other forums, mainly steam related.  Mills have been a part history and our recording of it for most of modern history.    KHF will be poorer for not having your input.
Dave

Well said DaveThe Train. The sad thing is, he is leaving with his knowledge because of a bully-boy on this forum. I thought this place was the Kent History Forum. 

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
This is a great pity.  I see it on other forums, mainly steam related.  Mills have been a part history and our recording of it for most of modern history.    KHF will be poorer for not having your input.
Dave

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
Bertroid:

Perhaps better to think again and stay?  This forum isn't just about Guess the Place. Between us we have a great deal of local knowledge, which we can use for good.

Sorry you appear to have been forum-abused, which isn't acceptable. Don't let people bully you into leaving. A few people on here seem to have their own agenda's but that will happen anywhere! 

Please think again.

Mike

Thanks for the thoughts Mike.  I went through the same six years ago, when I announced the publication date of my book.  Same individual gave the book a savage review before it had been even been printed, and got booted for it.  I don't plan to go through that again.  This group should be more than Guess the Place, but it isn't really.  At least yet.

Anyway, I'll carry on deleting.

Sorry to see you go.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

bertroid

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
Bertroid:

Perhaps better to think again and stay?  This forum isn't just about Guess the Place. Between us we have a great deal of local knowledge, which we can use for good.

Sorry you appear to have been forum-abused, which isn't acceptable. Don't let people bully you into leaving. A few people on here seem to have their own agenda's but that will happen anywhere! 

Please think again.

Mike

Thanks for the thoughts Mike.  I went through the same six years ago in the old forum, when I announced the publication date of my book. Same individual gave the book a savage review before it had been even been printed, and got booted for it.  I don't plan to go through that again.  This group should be more than Guess the Place, but it isn't really.  At least yet.

Anyway, I'll carry on deleting.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »
Bertroid:

Please think again.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

bertroid

My future contributions to this group, or lack of.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »

Evening all.

After some thought, I'm hanging my hat up on this group, which to me has become a glorified 'Guess the Place' forum.  A recent comment by the usual 'attack dog', who was deleted from the last forum for the same reason, has taken the wind out of my sails.

I was described by him (in a very garbled forum post) as an obnoxious plagiarising parasite (which if he'd actually bought my book, he'd know is very far from the truth)  So in essence, time to do the off, and put up research where it is more appreciated, or just publish it as intended.  Not going through this baiting/trolling thing from a flag-waving Neanderthal who's concept of history probably involves talking about the good old days in the British Legion.  The effort of visiting places, interviewing people, going through thousands of old documents/maps etc isn't appreciated by some, it would appear. No apology was forthcoming, and no doubt ever even considered.

I will delete my posts as soon as I've worked out how to.  Thanks to various people in here, who have been helpful.  Sadly not enough though.

Best of luck to Stuart in particular, for having to deal with this rowdy crowd, and I hope sincerely that more decent people join the place.  Particularly historians, despite how unwelcome they are made to feel at times.

Best of luck all.