Author Topic: `One Policeman `  (Read 10865 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: `One Policeman `
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
Safer riding in a car than walking the beat. Not a job I could or would do.
AlanTH.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Can't remember the last time I saw a "Bobby on the beat". There seem to be more police cars than coppers these days.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »
Not quite that long ago Castle 261. Probably around the late 60s as I started driving for Vokes in 1967 I think.
AlanTH.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
AlanTH, would that time be in the late 1940`s or 1950`s. The policeman that stayed with us, later
got transfered to a village beat. He came back to see us, from time to time & said `I dont like
this village beat, sooner be back here `. He was a Kent man, came from near Hythe.
One time six policemen, decided to travel to London on their motor bikes, Our policeman said to me
`come on the back with me `. I did, & near Eltham, a tram had stopped, the six, decided to pass
the tram on the near side, as the passengers finished boading. The policeman on duty, stop us.
Taking out his notebook, he was going to charge them. `We are in the mob `showing their police
cards. He put his notebook away, and they all started to chat. --  8)

It was illegal to pass a stationary tram, on the near side.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »
Coppers wouldn't dare patrol on their own these days. I got to know quite a few when cab driving in the towns and one was a bloke by the name of Dicky Bird. Whether Dicky was his actual name or not I don't know. :)
Good copper, stopped me a couple of times for things like speeding but just gave me a bit of a talking to. I believe he was taken off the motor bikes for stopping a senior cop for crossing a STOP sign with out stopping.
I saw him nut a yob on the Town Hall rank one night when he'd stopped to try and control the rowdy behaviour. Yobs nose didn't look too good after being flattened with a crash helmet.
Last time I saw him he was on his own around the Chatham Station and Ordnance Street area. Top bloke.
AlanTH.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »

Yes indeed, I heard from my Dad that an army sharp shooter shot him.
I did have his brother working for me years ago as a contractor laying gas mains. Very little was said about the events though.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
It is interesting to note the differences between the various accounts.  In some cases. fairly significant differences.  Thanks.
DTT

Offline castle261

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 07:20:08 AM »
I used to go to my friends house in Symons Avenue, to change comics. He lived opposite to
the army deserter, aged 20. He shot policeman Alan Baxter at the refuge dump at Chatham
The story made the front page of the Daily Mirror, at the time. Police were called in, as he had
made his way back to his parents house, on Symons Avenue. He was shot & killed by a police marksman. Just put siege of Symons Avenue in with your cursor, story & pictures.

I did not name him, as he may still have relatives living, in the area -- The time- June 6 1951

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 04:04:10 AM »
My parents had a friend who was a police officer ,counstable Diprose,he was stationed at the old police station that backed on to the castle gardens  ,top of castle hill? Never did know his first name,
I think he was involved in the white road incident , army deserter. Shot it out with the police and army riflemen ,very big story at the time,any one remember it?

Offline alkhamhills

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
Now `where` did his beer money come from --  ;)

Our policeman, on night duty in our area, used to knock on the back window of our house,
then say ` put the light out, then I can come in & have a cup of tea `.
He did`nt want anyone to see him, coming in to the house & report him. ( on point duty )

Rightful owner`s --- there were many Smiffy :-X ;D    :o   8)

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
I have no doubt that the money was handed in when he got back to the station so that the rightful owner could reclaim it  :) :) :)

Offline castle261

`One Policeman `
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »
My mother used to take in lodgers & one was policeman. He was from Sandgate. When doing his evening & night round, that night he was patrolling around Cage Lane in Chatham.
He used to creep around the back alley`s, then come out, in the dim light saying ` what`s going on here then `. A group of men were playing `crown & anchor `with money & they all scarpered when
he appeared, all he had to do was scoop up the money left behind. This was in the early 1950 s.