Author Topic: Air Training Corp.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Air Training Corp.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:00:58 AM »
Mine was sever from 3 year old. I did not pass my RA.F call up in 1944 ( F4 - was on my R.A.F. card)

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »
Depends on how serious the asthma was.  I have had it mild since I was 8 but managed to join the local squadron (696, Kingswood School) and got my leading cadet and was promoted to cadet sergeant and senior NCO.

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
Boundary Road would be classed as Chatham - 1404 squadron (wartime squadron number)

I saw somewhere that an A.T.C. cadet flew with a pilot from some factories, when the pilot
was delivering a land plane from that factory. The under carriage lever was too far, for the
pilot to stretch to, so a cadet was allowed to operate it. Whether he had parachute training ?
I believe the reason was - either the second pilot or flight engineer, used to operate the lever.

A record I found today said an A.T.C.cadet L. Ingram of the Tamworth Squadron had been
killed, when the pilot survived. The plane was returned to factory, for repairs.

I dont think I would have been allowed to remain in the A.T.C. if I had joined. I had Asthma.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
There's an ATC sqadron halfway down Boundary Road, essentially at the back of Fort Pitt.  I don't know if that counts as Rochester or Chatham.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
I was in the City of Rochester Squadron (312 I think) in 1946. Is it still alive? We met under the railway arches where Gyproc had their yard. That year we went to RAF Feltwell, Norfolk for Summer camp. One chap brought his wind up gramophone with just 1 record. Another member was supposed to bring his collection of records but forgot! We all remembered that tune for years- sorry my memory has gone now. Our accommodation was in wooden barrack huts with a central stove for heating; across the road was the Sally Anne where we spent most evenings.We attended the 1st passing out parade of pilots after WW2 ended. In 1952 I went there on an "acclimatisation" course for 6 weeks after returning from S. Rhodesia- to get used to English weather. That Small world-again!   

Offline castle261

Air Training Corp.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 02:45:26 PM »
I originally wanted to join the `Air Training Cadet`s `. My brother joined at age 16.
So I put in an application to join as well. `Sorry lad, you have to be age 15 to join `.
As I was only 14 years old, at the time, I decided to join the A.R.P. as a messenger.
My brother decided to leave the A.T.C. & join the A.R.P. as a messenger as well, in 1941.