Author Topic: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !  (Read 14430 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
My brother and brother in-law, both worked for the seaplane works. both -- sheet metal workers
My brother volunteered for the R.A.F. in 1939
My brother-in-law was called up, sent into coal mines in 1942.
I was called up for the R.A.F. in 1945 -- medically unfit. 

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:05 AM »
No 18 Shop  was where Blaw Knox was situated and where my Dad worked for Shorts. He was a leading hand either sheet metal or engines, we've no real info. to confirm exactly what he was.
I have a pic somewhere of him with a big group of  workers and visiting dignitaries beside a plane and also of him when they started building buses in those same workshops.
I'll try to find them and post them up.
AlanTH.

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
Of the seaplane works, there were No 3 `shop `, where 3 Sunderland`s were assembled.
The two other `shops ` were No 17 and No 18. Out side the No 18 `shop `was one plane
that was an experimental plane. The canteen used to be host to the BBC `workers playtime `.
This show I remember had Stan Stenett the comedian, and was broadcast all over Britain.

You are right about the wings of the Stirling Bomber, I saw them transported on RAF 60 foot
trailers, coming out of the airport works.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 02:59:16 PM »
I would love to hear more about this factory. More details please!

I'm told that wings for the other (airfield) factory Stirling wings were lorried in over Rochester bridge. I particularly curious about what other local factories supplied Shorts.

Offline castle261

Short brothers. Seaplane Works !
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 02:12:26 PM »
I worked for Shorts when I was 14, in the production office, situated just outside the main gate.
My job entailed taking ` flimsies ` out to the various stores. `Flimsies ` consisted of 3 sheets
of paper, and one sheet of pink cardboard. I used to visit all the main `Shops`and at one time
I went to the head office to deliver a paper, opening the main office door, I was confronted with
a group of men sitting down, I beat a hastily retreat when I recignised -------- Lord Beaverbrook.
For a small boy to wander among all those Sunderlands, in various stages of being built, was Bliss !