Maritime History > Harbours and Dockyards

Magnus Wharf

(1/2) > >>

MartinR:
Thanks Keith, I found the document and it is most interesting.

castle261:
I remember coal being unloaded, to the East of the Sun Pier, right where B&M NEW store is now.
Crane`s worked with `grabs`to take the coal out of a ship, pre 1939 war, & later.

KeithG:
I believe the wharf by the Ship Pier was Sufferance Wharf and was used for storing articles that hadn't had the Customs Payment made?
Among others there was one called Coal Wharf which was the West side of Sun Pier..... The only other coal jetties or wharves were behind the old Rochester Station and Chatham Central Station.
If you Google :  Star Hill and Sun Pier Conservation Area Appraisal V5........ You will arrive at a very interesting and lengthy read about Chatham Intra.
It is too large to upload?

MartinR:
@Smiffy - a very strong connection, I'm researching the Magnus family and the Synagogue for a small article.  I've "heard tell" that it was known as "Magnus' Wharf" within living memory, but I need some sort of reference to confirm it.  @Shoot99 - the Synagogue still pays 5p per year for a yard-wide strip of land to the west of the site.  It's still visible if you look carefully, but the gate is back now after the vandalism of last year and bolted shut.

shoot999:
The first modern Jewish settlement in England is considered to be at Chatham Intra and established around 1750.  The two prominent families that arose out of that were Magnus and the Isaacs; with Lazarus Magnus and his son both being Naval Agents and coal merchants. So its almost certain they would have had wharves at Chatham Intra.

The son went on to build railways and became the Mayor of Queensborough.

The jetty or remains  could be right opposite the synagogue. Although Magnus bought the site from the hospital a passageway from the hospital to a landing stage was leased from the hospital that allowed egress for lepers coming ashore for treatment.

Maybe try to find an old navigational chart which should have it marked?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version