Leisure, Sport and Entertainment > Theatres, Music and Concert Halls

Empire Theatre, Chatham

(1/4) > >>

Diapason:

If I remember correctly, the theme music of `Semprini Serenade`, which I think was broadcast on Sunday evenings, was `Mediterranean Concerto`, played and composed by Semprini himself.
Can be found on YouTube.

smiler:
Alberto Fernando Ricardo Semprini 1908 - 1990 was born in Bath Somerset he was English with Italian ancestry. radio show i do remember Semprini Serenade 

Diapason:

--- Quote from: DaveTheTrain on October 11, 2019, 09:24:48 PM ---I like the two clocks built into the proscenium arch.  I wonder if watches were not as commonplace as now, but you still needed to know the time to be able to catch your bus or tram.

--- End quote ---

If I remember correctly, the `clocks`, either side of the stage, were `Lifebelts,` with illuminated numbers in the middle which corresponded with the numbered acts in the printed programme.

Diapason:

--- Quote from: smiler on October 13, 2019, 06:17:44 PM --- I remember seeing the Memory Man here can`t remember his name now but sure he had people in the audience asking the questions `cos he sure picked the ones he wanted to answer  :)

--- End quote ---

LESLIE WELCH was the Memory Man and was one of dozens of famous music hall acts that I saw at the Empire.  Probably the most memorable were Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan.

Does anyone remember the pianist/conductor and composer Semprini who also appeared at the Empire?
 A grossly underrated musician.

castle261:
Max Miller appeared at the Empire in my day, he was one of the highest paid.
His act was mainly for women. They adored him --

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version