Healthcare > Hospitals and Asylums

St Barts Hospital. Rochester.

(1/8) > >>

castle261:
To people all over the world - St. Barts Hospital at Rochester`s - does not function as a hospital now - It has been turned into flats.
The whole structure of the hospital - and nurses quarters. Its kept it`s profile thou !

Jackie Paper:
While still a hospital, St Barts was used as a location for scenes in a short film by Kent-born and obsessed comedy writer/actor/dreamweaver Matt Holness.

It's called 'A Gun for George' (2011) and can be found on YouTube to view for free. (Dark/disturbing humour warning)

castle261:
I was a patient in 1944 in Gundulf Ward - I was walking home after a day of work - in pain - The next I remember I woke up in St Barts.
I had burst appendix - I was kept in the ward for about six weeks. I left Hospital - with a rubber tube sticking out of my stomach - held
there - by a safety pin - to drain the fluid.
In those days - to main enterance was in the High Street at Hospital Lane - for Out Patients & Ambulances.

The other time I was visiting my lady friend - in one of the smaller wards - for 4 beds - when on leaving the main enterance in New Road
I caught my foot on a metal surround for a Main gas / Hydrant - & tripped - There were two nurses having a break at the bus stop - they
came to my aid - then an ambulance arrived - to take me to Medway Hospital (you would have thought a ward in St Bart - would suffice)

MartinR:
According to the sign in the High Street (at 51.3831691 N 0.517087 E) the boundary passed to the east of St. Bart's chapel.  The Orchard Garden restaurant is number 2 High Street, so the numbering restarts there.

Dave Smith:
Hi Natasha. I was always under the impression that St. Bart's was in Chatham but I notice in their brochure that the developers refer to it as Rochester- a more prestigious address? However, in the small print it says, on the border of Rochester; very subtle! Sorry that I don't have any stories but my Grandfather, a lifelong Royal Engineer- ex Crewe Works, Engine Apprentice, was admitted there when it was the Medway Workhouse in 1931, although it then became the Asylum. Later he was transferred to Barming Hospital in Maidstone, ( built as an asylum, hence the name) where he died in 1937; cause of death, nowadays it would be called Parkinson's. So, like so many inmates of Asylums in the past, you didn't have to be a lunatic as such. Incidentally, you mention that this is part of the High Street Heritage project. My father was an apprentice Fitter & Turner to a firm of Artesian Well Borers in the High Street at the beginning of the 20th Century.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version