Author Topic: Naval frogmen  (Read 1443 times)

Offline mmitch

Re: Naval frogmen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »

I was at the entrance gate to the Blue Circle cement Northfleet works in the 70s. A Royal Navy truck pulled up and the driver got out wearing a full diving suit with out flippers but with goggles. He asked for the keys for the access gate to our lake. Everyone in the office was staring at him open mouthed! :)
The Police and the Navy often used the lake for training, it was 200feet deep and very cold.
mmitch.

johnham

Re: Naval frogmen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
I remember a similar scenario when HMS Eskimo was being prepared for scrapping in No2 basin. I was working in No 2
Electrical Shop at the time and the ground shook when they blew it.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Naval frogmen
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
While employed on a Frigate in the 1960`s in Basin 2, a group of naval frogmen appeared on the
dockside. a catamarang was bought to where they intended to work. I looked on with interest  The The dockyard slinger ordered the lowering down of the crane hook, huge spanner was attached using a very long strop, The driver lowered the spanner a instrured by the dockyard slinger, then 4 /5 frogmen jumped into the water, as 2/3 frogmen made  explosive charges, on the catamarang.
All this was happening on the rear of the Frigate. One frogman gave signals to the slinger ` Hoist `.[size=78%]After two or three tries, a huge nut appeared at the surface, with the spanner. The next step was[/size]
unusual, one frogman dive down with the charge, while the other frogman cleared out of the water.
A hooter was sounded, and a red flag was flown. `All clear ` I heard someone say.
Bang, bang, bang, and the water bubbled, the strop went taunt as a weight dropped down.
`All yours driver ` I heard, as the driver hoisted a propeller out of the water. I later found out, this
procedure had been done before. Why was it done this away, you may well ask.
Well, there was a frigate finishing a refit minus a propeller, and this frigate was starting a refit.
So the Frigate in dock had priority, as the dockyard, had not got a spare propeller.
                 I learnt later that a dockyard hard hat diver was working in No 3 basin.