Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 30389 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
I had a lovely phone call from my brother this morning, I am pleased to say he and his family are well ( he'll be 83 in two weeks ) but his Grandaughter is a nurse at a hospital in Brighton and has just done a 69 hour week there. That must be awful for all NHS workers , how they can possibly stay well is up to the gods but I hope anyone of these wonderful people pull through this awful pandemic. 
 And that everyone here stays safe and well .

KeithG

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
Here is a new one !
My partners Sister lives in Hove / Brighton and when she goes for a walk along the seafront she is not even allowed to sit down on a bench to have her flask of tea?.......yet you can do your shopping.

KeithG

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
For anyone who is interested, particularly in querying the self isolating situation. I am 89 & currently staying in isolation with my daughter in SW Scotland- Isle of Whithorn, which is pretty remote. The husband of a friend, living a couple of miles away, is a member of the local sub aqua club. They dive for scallops & had their first outing last week-end. A lady member came across from Yorkshire & went out in the boat with them. 2 members, incl. the husband ( the first in the Isle), have gone down with the symptoms of C19 this week; the Y. lady had no symptoms. My daughter said her friend & husband had said, " they would take their chances going out". Which seems to have been a bad choice.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
OK Pete, maybe it is resolved now.
Myself and 2 others had the problem at the time.
We could get the slot and fill the basket, but could not pay at the end.

Stay safe.

pete.mason

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
I have had problems paying for home shopping with ASDA using Chrome browser.
I assumed the delay was just overload on the system.
I have since discovered that the payment process at the end of the shopping DOES NOT work with Chrome.
I have successfully got through the payment process, trouble free, using Internet Explorer and Firefox.
(It may affect other supermarkets online as well.)

Since many of you may be relying on home shopping right now, be aware.

Works OK on chrome for me, even managed to get a delivery slot

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 07:50:08 AM »
I think we've kind of gone off topic here. When I get home from work, I'll have a little tidy-up of this thread and move the very useful Internet-related advice to a different thread.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2020, 01:18:37 AM »
I've tried lots of different browsers, at the moment I'm using Brave and it seems to be the best one yet - no issues encountered so far.

KeithG

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
Strange you mention that as i haven't been able to access emails for a few weeks......all boiled down to Chrome being updated so now i use Firefox and no problem at all.
I do really hate anything Google.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »
I have had problems paying for home shopping with ASDA using Chrome browser.
I assumed the delay was just overload on the system.
I have since discovered that the payment process at the end of the shopping DOES NOT work with Chrome.
I have successfully got through the payment process, trouble free, using Internet Explorer and Firefox.
(It may affect other supermarkets online as well.)

Since many of you may be relying on home shopping right now, be aware.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »
I got email from Sainsbury's today but it said they have had over 3 thousand enquiries , so even though priority   it may take a while .

I won't starve though  thankfully x

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
I've had the same sort of thing sent to me from Asda - looks like if you're over 70 or registered disabled you get priority.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »
Thank you Martin,
I will look into it, would be nice to have a bit of a choice. x

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
@Lyn I've just received an email from Sainsbury's which includes a section on "Elderly and vulnerable customers".  If you identify yourself as in this category you get "priority over all slots".  This week Sainsbury's (and one would guess all other supermarkets) will receive the government database "which tells us which people in England the government considers to be most vulnerable".  If you are already registered they will write to you.  The section finishes with an apology to regular customers and hopes "you can understand why we feel the need to prioritise elderly and vulnerable customers at the moment".
Beyond the quoted section I have no further information.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
Nothing to do with the latest virus but many moons ago, about 1956 fro memory, our family was put into isolation because our elder sister caught typhoid fever.
She worked at a government health lab. or something and when taking test tubes of specimens somewhere one of the tubes full of "excrement" had a crack and she got contaminated.
My father and mother  nursed her for several days before calling the doctor who at first said she just had a bad dose of flu...... a couple of days later he returned after a desperate call from the oldies and he absolutely flew down the stairs to drive to a phone box to call for an ambulance. No mobiles in those days and most of us didn't have a house phone either.
6 weeks in isolation and neighbours and other family used to drop off stuff for us after buying it from local stores.
The only other person in the UK to have typhoid that year was the bloke whose specimen she'd  caught it off.
Strangely or maybe not, after 6 weeks of being virtually locked up I've been a loner ever since.......
AlanTH.