Author Topic: The 15 Minute+ Read. No4  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Mike Gunnill

Re: The 15 Minute+ Read. No4
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »
I'm not sure why you take objection to "gutter press", but if it upsets you replace it with any other term that distinguishes between quality, researched newspapers and the more sensationalist end of the market.  In today's terms between the (ex-)broadsheets and the tabloids.

I fear you don't know what you are talking about. In my over 50 years of work in regional then national newspapers the broadsheets were the poorer of the two. I will not replace the term and the feature was published in Bygone Kent Magazine without any issue.

I have said what I wanted to say about your one-sided, comment. I will say no more.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
I have just finished reading it, very enlightening.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
I'm not sure why you take objection to "gutter press", but if it upsets you replace it with any other term that distinguishes between quality, researched newspapers and the more sensationalist end of the market.  In today's terms between the (ex-)broadsheets and the tabloids.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
RMS Titanic was never officially described as "unsinkable", that was only done by the gutter press.  She was however described by White Star as "practically unsinkable", not quite the same.
My paternal grandfather had been working in a bank in Canada (where he was required to sleep with a loaded revolver under his pillow) but was returning to the UK to offer for the Methodist Ministry.  He used to get up early and take a turn around the deck for exercise.  One day he noticed that the sun was rising in the wrong place and asked one of the crew if the ship had turned around.    The crewman asked him not to say anything to the other passengers until after breakfast but the ship was racing to the aid of the Titanic.  She was released from assisting later that day  and  resumed her voyage.
My maternal grandparents married in April 1912.  As was the custom those days pieces of wedding cake were sent to relatives in Canada.  They never received them and it was some time later that it dawned on my grandparents that of course the RMS Titanic was of course carrying the mails.  I hope the crabs enjoyed a nice bit of cake!

It is so easy to bring out the well worn phrase "gutter press." I take objection to the term. I would not have used the term  "unsinkable" unless I was sure, and research shows in books, features and nearly all the newspapers from the time, the phrase was widely used. The term was also used when I spoke personally to a relation, as I pointed out at the end of my piece. The feature really wasn't about the ship but the strong lady from Kent who went through much.

But thank you for your feed back.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
RMS Titanic was never officially described as "unsinkable", that was only done by the gutter press.  She was however described by White Star as "practically unsinkable", not quite the same.
My paternal grandfather had been working in a bank in Canada (where he was required to sleep with a loaded revolver under his pillow) but was returning to the UK to offer for the Methodist Ministry.  He used to get up early and take a turn around the deck for exercise.  One day he noticed that the sun was rising in the wrong place and asked one of the crew if the ship had turned around.    The crewman asked him not to say anything to the other passengers until after breakfast but the ship was racing to the aid of the Titanic.  She was released from assisting later that day  and  resumed her voyage.
My maternal grandparents married in April 1912.  As was the custom those days pieces of wedding cake were sent to relatives in Canada.  They never received them and it was some time later that it dawned on my grandparents that of course the RMS Titanic was of course carrying the mails.  I hope the crabs enjoyed a nice bit of cake!

Offline Mike Gunnill

The 15 Minute+ Read. No4
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >