Author Topic: My part in Kent's history  (Read 1661 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: My part in Kent's history
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
Hmm, not a history book, but my youthful form in in the first edition of Nicholson's Guide to the Waterways, published May 1973.  The scene is familiar, was it really nearly 50 years ago?

Offline Invicta Alec

My part in Kent's history
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »

This thread was on the old forum. I'm hoping it'll stir up some memories...........

I do so enjoy history that's why I'm here on the forum. Little did I realise though I am now down in print as part of it.

To explain. I received two local history books as presents this Christmas (2015). One of them is entitled "Chatham From Old Photographs". Its written by Brian Joyce and Sophie Miller. ISBN 978-1-4456-3291-9. Now it so happens, I actually went to school with Brian and through KHF I later found out that he had become an historian. The book is a little gem. Just short of a hundred pages but with 2 photos on each page with explanatory text underneath by the authors. Highly recommended.

I can study old photos for hours on end. Looking at the fashions of the day, the hairstyles, how the buildings have changed (or remained the same) I'm sure you all know what I mean. Of course we sometimes have a little chuckle to ourselves looking at the old black and white photos smugly thinking how "old fashioned" some of what we are looking at appears to be. Imagine my surprise then at turning to page 82 and finding myself staring back at me! Yes, yours truly is in a history book. I now officially class myself as ancient.

The photo is of class 4A Luton Junior School for boys taken in 1961. Mr. Nye the headmaster and Mr. Steer our teacher hold the centre of the photo. Looking back over more than half a century a good number of the faces are familiar and the names remembered.

I'll tell you folks, seeing yourself in a history book is quite , um, pleasing (for want of a better word).

Anyone else have a similar story?

Alec.