Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1009079 times)

Offline Stewie

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9422 on: January 06, 2024, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks Granarog, I did some work here around the turn of the century for the Dartford Area Resignalling project. I had to design an interface between the mechanical token instrument that controlled the single line and a solid state interlocking.
The next one is just for fun, Mrs Stewie and myself on a day out a few years ago, but where were we?
I shall be at the footie this afternoon and out this evening so may be unable to respond straight away!

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9421 on: January 06, 2024, 11:44:50 AM »
Thanks Granarog, I did some work here around the turn of the century for the Dartford Area Resignalling project. I had to design an interface between the mechanical token instrument that controlled the single line and a solid state interlocking.
The next one is just for fun, Mrs Stewie and myself on a day out a few years ago, but where were we?
I shall be at the footie this afternoon and out this evening so may be unable to respond straight away!

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9420 on: January 06, 2024, 10:48:35 AM »
Location information:
  • Nat Grid:                    TQ 86306 75297
  • Nearest Post Code:   ME3 0HA
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°26'46"N,000°40'47"E or 51.446011,0.679610
It's on the Isle of Grain at Wallend (sounds like Tyneside to me) where the A228 Grain Road becomes the B2001 Grain Road.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #9419 on: January 06, 2024, 10:00:16 AM »
Well done Stewie ,I said it wouldn't last long.
Your turn. :)

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9418 on: January 06, 2024, 08:53:08 AM »
Grain Crossing box

Offline Stewie

« Reply #9417 on: January 06, 2024, 08:48:28 AM »
Grain Crossing box?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9416 on: January 06, 2024, 01:11:02 AM »
East Kent Light Railway?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9415 on: January 05, 2024, 09:42:44 PM »
Well if you look through the window there is the balance arm of a semaphore signal.  The fence in the foreground and the name on the cabin makes me wonder if we are looking for a level crossing over a heritage line?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #9414 on: January 05, 2024, 08:58:09 PM »
This one shouldn't last long.
    Anybody and everybody out there come and have a go. We don't Bite its good fun and you learn about things and places you have never heard of.
                              DONT BE SHY ,COME AND TRY.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9413 on: January 05, 2024, 04:22:36 PM »
A bit more about the history of Methodism in the Buckland area of Dover here: http://www.dover.freeuk.com/church/londonrd.htm.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9412 on: January 05, 2024, 03:26:40 PM »
Grr, just had the computer seize up halfway through posting a reply.

The Historic England listing¹ has this to say about the hall: "Originally the Methodist Chapel, 1839. Stuccoed. Doric pilasters flanking the front. Cornice and parapet. 2 high windows with glazing bars intact. Projecting porch consisting of an Ionic column and pilaster on each side with pediment over, the porch being up a flight of wide steps. Large 6 panel moulded double doors. The interior contains a gallery supported on slender columns." and the photos afterwards mention Wesleyan Methodist.  This latter makes sense, Wesleyan chapels tended to be larger and more ornate than Primitive Methodist chapels.

Kent Online² gives further history.  After it ceased to be a chapel it became a music hall, then a Sea Cadet centre before finally becoming a party venue and being licensed for weddings.  It lost its licence after complaints of anti-social behaviour including late night loud music, fights and parking problems.  Kent Online includes pictures of its present state.

UKHallHire³ gives no additional information, but does include views of the interior before its present dilapidated state.

An interesting question is when it was first licensed for alcohol.  Typically Methodist premises are sold on with a restrictive covenant banning the sale of alcohol.  However total abstinence (as against temperance) developed in the latter half of 19C, so maybe the change to music hall predated this?  Alternatively, was the putative covenant only lifted when it became a party venue?  More history please!

¹https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1318893?section=official-list-entry
²https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/inside-the-derelict-music-hall-abandoned-for-eight-years-291809/
³https://www.uk-hallhire.co.uk/halls/CT/20257.php

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9411 on: January 05, 2024, 03:24:39 PM »
What’s grandajohn been up to?  ::)

Surprised that nobody has commented on the old phone box in front of the Kings Hall. Bright, Barbie pink with LOVE written on each side. Very hippy dippy 8)

Just found the pink telephone box - surprised no graffiti all over the artwork.  Give it time  :(

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9410 on: January 05, 2024, 01:22:29 PM »
What’s grandajohn been up to?  ::)

Surprised that nobody has commented on the old phone box in front of the Kings Hall. Bright, Barbie pink with LOVE written on each side. Very hippy dippy 8)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9409 on: January 05, 2024, 12:24:49 PM »
Senior Moment there John Walker ,or too much wine. :)
Grandarog (alias JohnFilmer)

Next one up this evening.

Whoops - must stop rushing things ...   I've corrected my post GrandaFilmer  ;D
CAT - The report I read didn't mention it being a chapel, even though it looks every bit a chapel.  Found another report that does mention it as being a chapel - just goes to show, that you can't believe everything you read.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #9408 on: January 05, 2024, 12:09:52 PM »
Senior Moment there John Walker ,or too much wine. :)
Grandarog (alias JohnFilmer)

Next one up this evening.