Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1009117 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #1967 on: May 25, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »
Next one

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1966 on: May 25, 2020, 08:19:17 AM »
I was out at the time and only had my mobile so couldn't put up an alternative GTP.  As I saw it, it was a valid GTP.  We have had many GTP of streets so I didn't see this as being that different apart from the clues would help identify the street.  I was sure that every member would have seen that view on a visit to the railway, so expected it to go quickly.

The clues so far were:
SW of Canterbury
A castle - Bodiam
The museum - Railway Museum at the station
Nostalgic smell - coal and steam
I had other clues ready.

I should in hindsight just have put the picture of the street and asked guess the place.  I felt it would add a bit of interest this way.  You can actually see the crossing gates at the bottom of the road.   Trying to get away from. "Oh no - not another bloody church in the middle of nowhere"  ...   :D   

I'll put an alternative GTP up later  :)

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #1965 on: May 24, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
I'm afraid that something about " a twist", comes to mind. Although I am unable to participate due to not having lived in Kent ( apart from 1966-1968) since 1947, I enjoyed reading these posts, especially, as Castle says, the descriptions by JohnWalker. The odd " road to" doesn't warrant giving up methinks. All I can say is, sad.   

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #1964 on: May 24, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
To my point of view, I think it adds interest to the `Place` When John Walker described `where`
it was, even I should have `got` it, as I have stood looking down this road, to the station.

KeithG

« Reply #1963 on: May 24, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Stuartwaters... I am sorry for causing any discern but I wanted to take the easy way out without any upset to GTP by just simply giving my reasons for myself not participating any more.

If after others discussions GTP does return to its original format then I shall return to help keep it going.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #1962 on: May 24, 2020, 03:50:54 PM »
Am I missing something? Did KeithG get the answer? As far as I can see, Keith posted a comment about whether posting a picture of a road to a point of interest is valid, which is a fair point and something which is open to discussion.

I think the regular players of this game need to agree the threshold if people are going to post pictures of a road to somewhere. How do you define a fair distance from the point of interest, a couple of hundred yards, a mile or two? Where do you want to draw the line?

As someone who only really has a passing interest in the game and only dip my toes in occasionally, I'm happy to leave the regular players to fine tune the rules by agreement amongst themselves.

As far as this turn is concerned, it looks as though you've conceded the turn to KeithG. How do you want to proceed?
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

KeithG

« Reply #1961 on: May 24, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »
Its the road to Tenterden Station the clues were all there and being drip fed.  Over to your KeithG :)

I didn't mean to offend you John...
I know where the road is as I have used the station quite often but I can't continue with this type of game as it is which is what I meant by over and out.
Please choose another participant...... Thanks

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #1960 on: May 24, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »
Just outside 10 Station Road.  I assume the castle is Bodiam - devious!

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1959 on: May 24, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »
Its the road to Tenterden Station the clues were all there and being drip fed.  Over to you KeithG :)

KeithG

« Reply #1958 on: May 24, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »
Only my opinion ... but putting up a picture of a "Road" idea seems very inadequate for such a good type of game? 

There are plenty of images of places and buildings on Google to use to guess where they are, but to just have a picture of a road is not easy to find at all especially when it could be Summer or Winter?

Let`s get back to what Guess The Place use to be which made it more interesting?

Over and Out

pete.mason

« Reply #1957 on: May 24, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
Queenborough?  Castle, glue works

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1956 on: May 24, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
There might be a farm stall somewhere down there Castle261 but that's not the answer :) - Something far more interesting is what you're looking for.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1955 on: May 24, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »
And some nostalgic smells ...

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1954 on: May 24, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
Discovering the town would be a big clue as to what is at the end of this road.  Depending on your decision you could find a museum or a castle.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #1953 on: May 24, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »
John only asked `what is there of interest at the end of this road -- A farm stall ?