Author Topic: My future contributions to this group, or lack of.  (Read 6865 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: My future contributions to this group, or lack of.
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2020, 11:14:27 AM »
And I agree Pete. I would like to thank members for their support, I really do appreciate it. As for the bans themselves, the actual profiles are unaffected, the ban simply means that the users cannot log into their profile. The ban applies to the username, the email address and the IP address. The ban can be lifted whenever the members concerned want me to, that will of course be subject to certain assurances and guarantees. I'm going to lock this thread now and move it to where it belongs.

Thank you all again for your support, I really do appreciate it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

pete.mason

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »
One is not enough,  it is one too many. If individuals have a problem with each other then  sort it in private. Not only is putting it on a public board boring and distasteful fot the members they are also exposing themselves to  a libel case .My personal feeling is that it's time this topic was locked

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Howardws

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 07:48:13 AM »

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 09:32:35 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that the removal of all your posts because someone has upset you is rather childish?

I think the point bertroid made was, that his posts were researched over a number of years for a forth coming publication. He then decided after the way he was treated he wanted to remove this knowledge from the public domain.

I suppose if he posted something, he can remove it, I am not sure but I don't think " childish " came into it. On this point I am not sure who is right or wrong.

regards

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Howardws

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 08:57:10 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that the removal of all your posts because someone has upset you is rather childish?

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »
Fully Agree

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
Stuart. Sad but I'm sure you've made the right decision & I'm also sure that all the members are behind you. I certainly appreciate all the effort you've put into starting & running this new forum, particularly as you are still working, so don't berate yourself. Thanks, DaveSmith.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:54 AM »
A fair decision - an administrator has to make --------------- sometimes - two good researcher`s lost.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »
Time to move on and forget this, but to learn from it.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

pete.mason

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »
A good and appropriate decision.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »
I've now had a chance to look at this and first of all, I must offer my apologies to the membership as a whole. I can make all the excuses in the world about long hours at work, early starts, late finishes, being dog tired when I get home etc, but none of that really matters and to be honest I'm not in the mood for a pity party. At the end of the day, I'm the administrator of this forum and it falls on me to make sure that what has been happening recently between two members doesn't happen. I dropped the ball and that's on me and me alone. I'm really disappointed that it did happen because I never intended for this forum to be micromanaged in the way that the old one was and hoped, perhaps naively, that it would police itself. I saw that things were beginning to heat up on that thread and decided to let it play out, hoping that one or the other would be the bigger man and leave it. I now realise that, with hindsight, that was a mistake on my part and I regret not taking firm action to put a stop to it there and then.

I said in a previous post that people should be free to state an opinion and that people should be equally free to disagree. Debate the point all you like, but please, do not allow a debate to descend into name-calling and insults. If people can't agree, then I expect people to agree to disagree and move on. Name-calling, insults and provocation will not be tolerated and will be treated harshly. I don't care who they are, what they might have achieved in the past and how much they have contributed to this or any other forum, if people can't behave like grown-ups, I don't want them on the forum. End of.

To that end, I've banned both the members concerned and I expect that to be the end of the matter. In future, if members take offence at a post or a statement made in a post, report it and do not rise to the bait.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

KeithG

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
If you all go back and read bertroid first post you will see clearly that he is not happy about the forum as a whole a nd near the end says "rowdy crowd "... So I am just being used as a scapegoat as I never called him what he states. Of course then you all simply jump on me which is really what he wants... He just simply needs an excuse for deleting his posts which really he should not do.

He has probably realised that he needs all the info for his books and will sell less if all on here.
It is a shame all this as I have never ever been rude to others on here despite my builder upbringing and having a type of asperges.

bertroid

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
FFS stop the mud slinging both of you and the  "he said" "you said". Carry on in privacy if you wish or leave the forum.  Rant over

I am Pete.  So mind your own business, thanks.

pete.mason

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:47 PM »
FFS stop the mud slinging both of you and the  "he said" "you said". Carry on in privacy if you wish or leave the forum.  Rant over