Author Topic: Restricted area in Dock Road Chatham  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Restricted area in Dock Road Chatham
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 11:31:59 AM »
Stuart. Off topic it might be but I found it interesting (as so many off topics are!), thanks.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 02:23:16 AM »
With reference to Colin's question, can you remember when you posted this, and in what section?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:18:59 PM »
Sorry to break the thread of the conversation,but can any one tell me if it's possible to recover parts of the "old" fourum ,or can I still log in to the remaining parts of said fourum ,want to recover an article ref my lost brother

Colin, this from DavetheTrain on another thread:

***  Access possible via digital archives ***
I can still access parts of it by the waybackmachine.  If you don't know what this is, then I suggest a quick look at Wikipedia (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine)This is an imprint for March 31st 2018 which should help.  You may find other dates may or may not work.  And indeed some of the sub-pages.  If a page does not work, try another archive imprint date.  The important thing about the wayback machine is patience to look around for what you need.Anyway, this link works for the forum and subject I looked for.I would suggest a quick look and copy of personal/author owned data in acccordance with copyright requirements.  Use my link then navigate around in the usual way.  You wont be able to login, this is a digital copy, not working HTML code.https://web.archive.org/web/20171226123956/http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8750.0DTT
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »
The allotments at the bottom of Mill Road are still there. The area adjacent to it which used to house a Royal Naval Association centre were originally the Prince Arthur Road Barracks, a small barracks used to house the Naval men who worked in the former Nore Command HQ Bunker (or HMS Wildfire as it was known later). The Wrens were housed in the Medway Road Barracks just down the road. Opposite, on the site now occupied by Mid Kent College, was RAF Gillingham, the barracks which housed the RAF staff who worked in the bunker. The bunker itself was a shared facility, between the Royal Navy's Nore Command and the HQ No.19 Group Coastal Command, RAF. All of which is off-topic.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

KeithG

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:09 PM »
Yes Pete there were allotments running along Prince Arthur Road but only down as far as Khyber Road which also ran across the bottom of the allotments to Mill Road opposite the Prince of Wales pub which I used in1976 as my local.....the wooden huts as you mentioned they were next to Khyber Road but on the opposite side of the allotments. As regards the use of them i don't know.
At the Mill Road end on the North side of Khyber Road was a large playground with rides and swings which has been there in some form or another for years.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
Screwfix was founded in Yeovil, Somerset as the Woodscrew Supply Companyin 1979, so I can't see any connection.

pete.mason

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 05:23:22 PM »
Did there used to be allotments at the bottom of Prince Arthur Rd. Remember there was an number of wooden huts by the allotments, one was the RNA club and another sold screws and I believe eventually moved to Rainham and became Screwfix. Am I right or just going senile? Talking abt 1978-80

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:24 PM »
I remember Khyber Road when it was open from top to bottom. It was closed off in the late 80's, partly because of the threat from the IRA, but also because the Army took over the Collingwood buildings as well as half the former St Mary's Naval married quarters estate.

Offline Medway Born and Bred

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Sorry to break the thread of the conversation,but can any one tell me if it's possible to recover parts of the "old" fourum ,or can I still log in to the remaining parts of said fourum ,want to recover an article ref my lost brother

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »
It's a standard notice for all military bases and establishments.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »
I belive everything on that side of the road is part of Brompton Barracks. The low building you're referring to is, I believe, an indoor firing range. There is a 25 meter outdoor range adjacent to the bottom of Khyber Road as well. In the indoor range, they'll be firing modern rifles, modified for 0.22 rim fire rounds. The modern-day SA80 rifles come with a conversion kit which enables them to fire the smaller round, so soldiers can do target practice without having to go to a full-size rifle range.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
If you look at it via Google Earth, there is what looks like an assault course on the left as you enter the gates. On the right is a large, low building hiding who knows what?

Offline Medway Born and Bred

Restricted area in Dock Road Chatham
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:14:49 PM »