Author Topic: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site  (Read 10932 times)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Re: What about information on the old Kent History Forum site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »
I tried to access the old forum as a casual guest - no access.
Searched and found an article on the old forum via google search. Click to enter and you end up back at the same dead end Home Page.
It would seem that the old forum is now dead.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »
Given the way this thread is going I thought that I would revisit the old site.
First thing is a red banner:
News: The original Kent History Forum.
Not affiliated or supportive of any duplicate sites!
Shame about the grammar....
Next, I can't log in. My log in is stored on my laptop and I also tried manually entering the details. No result. So copyright or not, I have no access.
Have we original malcontents been banned? Or is it another unintended feature after someone has obviously visited?

Illegitimus nil carborundum

Online shoot999

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
Oh dear. Well, let's see what (if anything) happens now. I still haven't managed to move all my stuff over yet. I wouldn't be surprised if that was done to stop us moving things to the new one.

Well we didn't have to wait long to see what happened.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
Oh dear. Well, let's see what (if anything) happens now. I still haven't managed to move all my stuff over yet. I wouldn't be surprised if that was done to stop us moving things to the new one.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »
Old forum is now in maintenance mode with this message:

"As per KHF guidelines KHF retains copyright of all posts. If you wish to copy you need authors permission"

What a great shame.  We all put many hours of input, time and effort into many posts on that forum.  We can always resurrect our posts with a bit of effort, the shame is that Peter Challis' inputs and recollections are now lost.

DTT

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »
Old forum is now in maintenance mode with this message:

"As per KHF guidelines KHF retains copyright of all posts. If you wish to copy you need authors permission"

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:59:44 PM »
The only way to make sure is for somebody to contact the owner of the original Forum and gain access to the original contributor's email address. We all know how that turned out last time we tried it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »
Copying a copy is copying just the same. :-\   Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_work for the problems of copyright where the holders are untraceable.  Fuller information is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Works_Directive and the UK licensing regime at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/copyright-orphan-works
tldr: it's a minefield

KeithG

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
The thing is there is a post somewhere on the old site where i mentioned that not only are pictures supposedly copyright but writings are also.... But nobody commented on that aspect?
The old site is full of just simply copied writing's so where does one stand copying a copy?

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »
I agree with you MartinR that's my understanding.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »
Well if normal copyright laws apply, the copyright exists for 70 years after the death.  Who owns the copyright will depend upon the will of the deceased.  Remember that the copyright holder doesn't have to make the copy, only give permission.  But this is my understanding: IANAL!

Offline mmitch

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »

What about 'copyright' of articles by someone dead?
mmitch.

bertroid

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:46:51 PM »
I believe there are concerns over copyright.  If you take an extended piece of work (such as one of BligeRat's ship articles) you can't just copy it over without permission.  If the original author is a member of the new forum, they can copy it (since they are the copyright holder), but where the original author is no longer active then the information may indeed be lost.

That's certainly the situation as far as I'm aware. It's a shame, but there you are. Christmas, work and other things have held me up with copying over stuff from the old forum, but if there are any contributors on the old forum on here, I need you to think about copying your stuff over from there. Otherwise, as Martin states, once the domain name runs out on the old Forum, it'll be lost for good.

I've been doing so, as you know, but its all windmill/watermill related.

JohnH

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
The thread on "RTA early 1960s" (although I think it really should be some time in the 1950s) shows the aftermath of an accident involving a Bedford van and two elderly buses from the Contract Bus Company.  Just before the site conked out, I asked the question as to whether either The Omnibus Society or The PSV Circle (or perhaps some other group) ever produced a fleet list for The Contract Bus Company.  It would be good if the person who started that thread could transfer it to the new site. 

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
I believe there are concerns over copyright.  If you take an extended piece of work (such as one of BligeRat's ship articles) you can't just copy it over without permission.  If the original author is a member of the new forum, they can copy it (since they are the copyright holder), but where the original author is no longer active then the information may indeed be lost.

That's certainly the situation as far as I'm aware. It's a shame, but there you are. Christmas, work and other things have held me up with copying over stuff from the old forum, but if there are any contributors on the old forum on here, I need you to think about copying your stuff over from there. Otherwise, as Martin states, once the domain name runs out on the old Forum, it'll be lost for good.