Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 30394 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
I have been indoors for two weeks now and have to rely on family for shopping, I would have no hope from supermarket deliveries. My Grandaughter lives quite near and has volunteered , but she has  two small girls and is pregnant as well, her partner is a Key Worker so hopefully he will do the honours. But how I hate not going to buy my own grub. Past the age limit and considered vulnerable .
Hope you all stay safe and well  and the dog may get a walk later ?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333
Doesn't help you, but may assist others.  MOTs suspended for 6 months from March 30.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »
On another subject had to get an MOT on the car by today. Was booked in but the garage decided to close yesterday but managed to get in at Luton MOT centre.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »

Shopping at Morrisons Walderslade this morning, they allowed 50 people in at a maximum and then 1 in 1 out basis, waited 20 mins to get in not too bad. Waited spaced 2 metres apart.
Hardly any tinned food and no frozen food veg items.

All very calm.

pete.mason

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
We got ours yesterday, a couple of unavailables and substitutes, tried to book another via Asda & Tesco, all booked for 3 weeks that are available  :(

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Finally got my shopping delivered yesterday (with several "unavailables") so thought I'd better do another order to be on the safe side. Soonest delivery I can get is April 14th.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
You lucky folks, we dream of main drains.  We are still on Septic Tanks down Chilham way,  so you have to become an expert on such matters.   :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »

Stuart, a relative had a blockage in their drain once and had to have it cleared. They had two teenage daughters, so I expect you can guess what was causing it :-[

Probably.... My step daughter had a blockage - turned out that my then 4 year old grandson thought it was a great game to flush 4 toy cars and a bar of soap down the toilet. He's a teenager now.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
Must have been posh then  ! we had string in our outside loo and spiders YUK and freezing in the winter , then we moved to a big house with 2 indoor ones BLISS  .
 Stay safe everyone  xx

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »
The report I saw was a couple of days ago and there is an increasing frequency as hoarders make toilet tissue rare.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
"String was the upper class way of hanging the paper". That KeithG sounds like a proper toff!

Stuart, a relative had a blockage in their drain once and had to have it cleared. They had two teenage daughters, so I expect you can guess what was causing it :-[

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »
Slightly more seriously, there have been reports of sewers being blocked by wet wipes, tissues, kitchen roll and newspaper.  Toilet tissue is designed to break down when wet, the others are meant to hold their strength.  If you block the pipe leading from your house to the main sewer you have to pay for someone to dig it up or rod it.  Be careful!

Keeps me in a job :)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »
The newspaper`s for the toilet, was a Friday night affair. We provided enough paper to what we
though would last a week. String, was the upper class way, of hanging the paper.  A nail was
considered a `common`way of finishing the `job`.

KeithG

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »
Once upon a time - in an emergency, there was always the newspaper :)

Yes I think a lot of us remember when it was only newspaper on a nail in the outside toilet

We had string through our's....... ;D

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
Slightly more seriously, there have been reports of sewers being blocked by wet wipes, tissues, kitchen roll and newspaper.  Toilet tissue is designed to break down when wet, the others are meant to hold their strength.  If you block the pipe leading from your house to the main sewer you have to pay for someone to dig it up or rod it.  Be careful!