Author Topic: Out and About  (Read 4026 times)

Offline alkhamhills

Re: Out and About
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
I've seen an occasional Peregrine, but I can't say that I've ever knowingly seen a Buzzard before. Perhaps my location is too urban.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
Yes Smiffy, it is one of the buzzards that live around this area, near Doddington. We have seen at least six circling overhead on odd occasions during the summer.

Their distinctive cry is what draws your attention upward.

A couple of years ago I watched as an adult appeared to teach a young bird how to hunt over a field near us, using the poles and electricity cables as perches.

There are some other raptors around, as well as some very noisy owls.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
Like the birds Stewie but I can't say I'm too keen on grey squirrels. The little buggers seem to be breeding out of control around where I live.

By the way johnfilmer, I forgot to ask - is your picture a Buzzard?

Offline Stewie

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 03:00:08 PM »
Some wildlife in the garden today!

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
I took this last year, through our front bedroom window. He(?) was sitting in the woods opposite and is an occasional visitor.

We call him Two-Trees as he only perches in two places.
Photo opens in correct orientation, but shows rotated in the thumbnail - no idea why this happens.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline alkhamhills

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
Down here in South Wales, the Greater Spotted Woodpecker visits our Garden most days. Both Male & Female. They Feed from Fat Balls in our Birdfeeders. Lovely sight 

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Always nice to see a Robin. For the first time last year I finally managed to see a Great spotted woodpecker and not long after I also saw a Green woodpecker. Up until then I'd only ever heard them from afar. Unfortunately on both occasions I didn't have any means of photographing them.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 08:50:37 PM »
We saw this fellow today during a visit to the Riverside Country Park in Gillingham, sitting high up in his tree, he entertained with his song before flying off.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »

This happened a few weeks ago in the Garrison gardens in Brompton. A very large branch of a tree which must have weighed at least a couple of tons came down in high winds and fell right across the path. Thankfully it appears to have happened in the early hours and no one was walking past at the time.

This is the tree after being cut back - you can see the scar left by the branch which looks like it was pretty rotten where it joined the trunk. For scale, the main trunk is about four feet across.

The scene during the process of clearing up.

This what it did to the metal fence of the tennis court

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 11:00:19 PM »

I was hoping that a member of the `old` Forum (SentinelS4) might see this photo and join the new Forum) ...

I shall drop S4 a text and let him know that we are now all over here. He had been busy with decorating as I understand... and having a haircut.
DTT

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »

Yes I do remember where I took this, Smiffy.

The southern end of Ruins Barn Road, Sittingbourne, facing north and not far from the Science Park (formerly Shell Research).

I was hoping that a member of the `old` Forum (SentinelS4) might see this photo and join the new Forum) as he certainly would have known this area very well, as I believe he once lived close by.

Quite a few have their email addresses on their old KHF profiles. Maybe worth a try for those who have some sort of connection with other members on there?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
I suspect that many members gave up on the old forum and may not yet be aware of this new one.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »

Yes I do remember where I took this, Smiffy.

The southern end of Ruins Barn Road, Sittingbourne, facing north and not far from the Science Park (formerly Shell Research).

I was hoping that a member of the `old` Forum (SentinelS4) might see this photo and join the new Forum) as he certainly would have known this area very well, as I believe he once lived close by.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
That's a really nice pic Diapason, can you remember where it was taken?