Author Topic: Measurements old and new  (Read 9108 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Measurements old and new
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »
For an old timer - it is still strange - using the new measurments - At one time it always pound,
shillings & pence - Which is better - to me - the old pounds shillings & pence.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
@MartinR,

As cumbersome as our old units were, they deserve their place in history. I thank you for introducing me to "brewer's pounds" which I'd never heard of. Your explanation of how the fermentation numbers are arrived at must be preserved. The Kent History Forum is as good a place as any to do it!

A happy new year to you too Martin.

Alec.

P.S. Do recheck your maths on the little problem I set a day or two ago. By my reckoning your answer is roughly two (old pennies) adrift.  :)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »
@Alec (and anyone else interested)
18lb refers to brewer's pounds which is the weight by which a barrel (36 gallons) of wort exceeds that of pure water.  18lb is therefore an original gravity of (360+18)/360 = 1.050.  This density (commonly written as 1050) equates to about 5.1% alcohol if fully fermented out.  I'm sure you are now rolling your eyes and muttering about "cumbersome" not even half describing it.
To matters both more fun and more serious:  best wishes to all for a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
I still find an acre easier to visualise than a hectare, in spite of the hectare being more logical.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 08:23:17 PM »

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »

Now today's question: if a barrel of wort weighs 18 lb what will be the strength of the finished beer? :)

Probably going to regret this Martin, but do enlighten us please  :)

Alec.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:54:12 PM »
Although I have enjoyed the ease of metric calculation, especially once I got my hands on an electronic calculator, I do find that there is sometimes a perception issue as some metric units are so much larger than their imperial equivalent.

Doing the technical end of domestic heating, I found it preferable to calculate heat losses in btu/hr (British thermal units per hour) rather than kW/hr (kilowatts per hour) as there are 3412 btu to a kW. It makes radiator sizing easier in my opinion.

Atmospheric pressure is 1bar, but 14.7psi again makes small variations more obvious.

I use 10lbs per gallon of water as my rule of thumb, but then I was born in 1951....
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
If you are bringing a yacht alongside, the helm often cannot see the how close the pontoon is to the hull.  Typically those waiting to step (never jump) ashore call off the distance.  If a European is calling off you'll typically hear "2 metres", "1 metre", "half a metre".  These are approximate, so when a Brit is calling off "2 yards", "1 yard" it isn't a problem, assume a yard is a metre.  But when the call goes on to "2 foot", "1 foot" the helm's face can be a picture!  :)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Measurements old and new
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Those of us of a certain age were brought up using Imperial measurements and pound shillings and pence. This causes conversion problems, a typical example being one of my service engineers, who when asked how long he wanted an item replied, About 2metres, give or take an inch.

Moving between machinery calibrated one in Imperial, and the other metric is another joy for the unwary.

Even working on cars in the late sixties meant whitworth/BSF, BA, A/F and metric fasteners. Some spanners are interchangeable, but only with the right sized hammer :D
Illegitimus nil carborundum