Author Topic: The Good Intent John St Rochester  (Read 3166 times)

Offline shoot999

Re: The Good Intent John St Rochester
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:23:10 PM »
On the plus side the houses are affordable. Can't be many of us who haven't got the odd £400,000 laying around the buy a terraced house in Troy Town, or many of our children who haven't got  the wherewithal to fork out the mortgage payments needed for such a place.  :(
And never heard of this Cobden Terrace. From what I remember the pub was on the corner of Queen Street and Henry Street with the yard off of Queen.
And at ten foot 8 inches wide I think they are narrower than the house I lived  in at Morden Street that was part of the Troy Town  slum clearance during the 50s and 60s.

httwww.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/details/57871504/

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
    Now demolished and flats up in place  :(

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:57:05 PM »
It has always interested me that what used to be the front of the pub is now the back, if that makes sense.  When the road was moved it was re aligned behind the pub, thus what was the back became the front. 

I shall be there for the final day, any other takers?

Offline Nemo

Offline smiler

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
      Good Intent  before 1960s alterations. The roads here are Queen St on the left and Henry St to the right now the car park. The doorway is now bricked up and is the gents in the public bar.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
   The last of the back street locals of Troy Town is due to close on the 31st January. Its going to be pulled down and flats built on its grounds.In my time alone there were at least another six pubs within couple of hundred yards from it.

It's the way brewers are going keeping prices so high that people cannot afford to use pubs then selling to property developers, this is a great pub for music and will be sadly missed.

Offline smiler

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
   shoot 99 there was the Black Moors Head in King St the Lifeboat in Hoopers Lane the Foresters on Maidstone Rd the Kings Arms on Maidstone Rd the one you mentioned St Peters St was the Masons Arms, The Rising Sun still there on the Delce Rd

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
Pretty much just leaves the Man of Kent in John Street and the Granville on Maidstone Road. Just off the top of my head there were three others on Maidstone Road between East Row and Rochester Avenue; which had the Greyhound. Then the Morden Arms, first in Queen Street; where my dad was the resident musician in the 50s and 60s; and then in the new John Street as Morden Arms/High Span. Think there was another pub in Hoopers Place as well; plus the one at the junction of Ross Street and St Peters Street.

Whilst the number of pubs is constantly decreasing everywhere, when you look at maps of Troy Town from the 40s and 50s its not surprising in Troy Town given the  massive loss of footfall.

Offline smiler

The Good Intent John St Rochester
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
   The last of the back street locals of Troy Town is due to close on the 31st January. Its going to be pulled down and flats built on its grounds.In my time alone there were at least another six pubs within couple of hundred yards from it.