Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1009671 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #2435 on: July 01, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
Can be seen on Google Street View.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2434 on: July 01, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
Very close Pete  ;)   But no cigar yet ...

pete.mason

« Reply #2433 on: July 01, 2020, 03:13:02 PM »
Old Ashford Railway works?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2432 on: July 01, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
These sheds are very long.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2431 on: July 01, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
I've had a look at various sheds near the railway at Sittingbourne and I agree they are very similar.  However, it's not Sittingbourne.  Too far to the north west.

pete.mason

« Reply #2430 on: July 01, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
I'll go along with that DTT, used to be the apple box factory I think

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2429 on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
I still think I have seen them from the railway line.  Sittingbourne, next to the A2?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2428 on: July 01, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »
On the edge of a large town. Close to a river, a railway line and a busy 'A' Road.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2427 on: June 30, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
Too far north west (ish) DTT.  :)

Going back to Ramsgate.  My Grandad thought it was too dangerous for the family to stay in Ramsgate as it was so near to Manston so he moved them to Canterbury!!!   An HE bomb landed a few hundred yards from the font of the house.  The front door ended up in the back scullery and the roof was wrecked.  Fortunately they had gone over to the communal shelter that night.   They were moved to the countryside near Faygate, Sussex.  My Grandfather, Flight Sargent James Baxter Roger had been posted to RAF Faygate, West Sussex.  The centre for crashed aircraft recovery.

Number 49 Maintenance Unit operated at RAF Faygate from 3 November 1940 until 13 February 1946. Prior to the former date it was No. 1 Salvage Centre and on the latter date it relocated to Lasham. Between these dates it processed, it is said, the lion's share of the Allied and German aircraft that crashed in south east England.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2426 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »
The buildings look like the ones I see from the railway in Rochester, around the former Dousts shipyard.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2425 on: June 30, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
   My Mum was billeted at the Pegwell Bay Hotel in WW2.  she was in the ATS and was at the AA gun at the end of Manston runway.  Just down from Ozengal Farm.  I haven't been able to find out very much about it but still searching.  Her Dad was stationed at Manston and the family lived in Picton Road, Ramsagte.

That must have been a dangerous place to be billeted.  The family from Downs Road was evacuated to Utoexeter.    Ramsgate as you know really took it from the Germans.

DTT

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2424 on: June 30, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks DTT - I should have recognised it earlier - I've been there many times over the years.  I agree with you about the Belle View being well worth a visit.  Particularly on a sunny day outside with the view over Pegwell Bay.   My Mum was billeted at the Pegwell Bay Hotel in WW2.  She was in the ATS and was at the AA gun position at the end of Manston runway.  Just down from Ozengal Farm.  I haven't been able to find out very much about it but still searching.  Her Dad was stationed at Manston and the family lived in Picton Road, Ramsgate.
Sorry I beat you to it Diapason :(

Next one ...   No clues to start with.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2423 on: June 30, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
Well done JW.  Bad luck, Diapson.

The scene is not much changed.  If you look on Streetview, the Belle Vue pub is still the same.  The building nearest the camera on the LHS has been demolished.  It is a shame but the two next properties look in poor repair on Streetview. 

I lived in Downs Road which is parallel to this scene.  There was an RC convent, now all houses.  The Abbey Gate was connected with the Abbey in the main town.

I recommend the Belle Vue, we had a wake here a few years back and it was a very nice pub.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #2422 on: June 30, 2020, 11:32:04 AM »
You`ve just beaten me to it, JW. I`ve just found a Francis Frith photo which is nearly identical.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2421 on: June 30, 2020, 10:50:13 AM »
Pegwell Village.  the Belle View pub would be on the right ?