Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1039157 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7546 on: November 06, 2022, 03:59:25 PM »
If the metal disk was vertical, then it was probably a Polyphon player.  Unlike the pianola where the holes produce the notes, the holes in a polyphon are where metal has been bent back to form a pin-like structure.  There's a link below to a short video showing how the system worked.  The one in the video is horizontal, but Polyphon produced much larger vertical ones sometimes with multiple tracks, accessed by moving the disks slightly sideways.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Polyphon_Stille_Nacht_Heilige_Nacht.webm

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7545 on: November 06, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »
I agree with your comment about narrow lanes.  We used to drive along the single-track lane from Doddington in the dark.  Made it seem like such an adventure.  I hadn't realised it would have been an easier drive from the A20 at Harrietsham.  No Sat-Nav and no maps to hand.  I'd just been given directions to take a right fork after Doddington and keep driving through dark wooded areas until I got there.

Photo shows how narrow the lane is and it seemed to go on for miles.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7544 on: November 06, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
My sister and I took a Canadian cousin and his wife there in probably 1969. It would have been around June as Charlie tried to go to the D-Day celebrations most years.

I think that candles and a low power generator were used later in the evening.

Memory (which can be a fickle thing...) has it that the Gents was still an external affair. Although there was always the “pick a tree” option.

Charlie’s wife Margaret had not been into the darkest depths of Kent before, so we went to the pub via every little lane that I could find, including one that is now impassable, or was last time I went that way, or tried to!
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7543 on: November 06, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
Well done StuartWaters.  It is indeed the Ringlestone.

I used to drive out there from Canterbury in the 60s.  Amazing atmosphere.  The place was black with smoke.  Stone floors and a music 'jukebox thing' with a very large metal disc with holes like a pianola has.
I'm not sure if there was an electricity supply - very dark in there so possibly candles.  There might have been a generator out the back though.

Over to you

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7542 on: November 06, 2022, 10:34:18 AM »
  • Nat'l Grid:              TQ 87912 55764
  • Post Code:            ME17 1NX
  • Coords (WGS84): 51°16'12"N, 000°41'33"E or  51.27004,0.69238
A bit outside Ringlestone itself, and well away from Harrietsham or Maidstone.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #7541 on: November 06, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
A mother and daughter ran it for years. Very strict in their ways. If you were lucky, they let you in and served you. Any problems out came the Shotgun. Nobody argued with them. :)
Very nice now more upmarket than when the old dears ran it.
HOME | Theringlestone

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #7540 on: November 06, 2022, 08:45:33 AM »
That's the Ringlestone Inn near Harrietsham. Last time I went there, it was a Shep's House but was a freehouse for years.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #7539 on: November 06, 2022, 08:19:12 AM »
Thats out in wild and wooly land. I will pass for a while. :)

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7538 on: November 06, 2022, 12:51:01 AM »
Thanks MartinR.

Many years ago I visited the Rhondda Heritage Museum in Trehafod, South Wales.  I am sure a lamp like that was discussed in the guided tour of the pit head.  The name stuck in my head but I wasn't certain.  Perhaps South Wales and North East mines used the same lamp?    I visited the Betteshanger Museum this Summer.  Small but very interesting.  Contains a lot of the social history of the Kent mining area.

Next one

Where is this pub and what is the name?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7537 on: November 05, 2022, 07:36:12 PM »
Well done John, I was expecting to last much longer than that.  The Kent Mining Museum at Betteshanger was the easy part, but to correctly identify an early "Geordie" is impressive.  They were used extensively in the North-East in particular and were regarded as far safer than the rival "Davy".  On 16 February 1882 The Trimdon Grange colliery disaster occurred (69 men died) and the subsequent coroner's report to the House of Commons noted that: "the result of this inquiry is a further proof, if further proof were needed, that the Davy lamp affords no security whatever ... and that its employment ... ought to be absolutely prohibited".  When the benefits of the two lamps were incorporated in the Clany (and particularly its development the Mueseler) the basis of the modern safety flame lamp was developed.
Over to you.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7536 on: November 05, 2022, 06:38:12 PM »
Possibly a Stephenson lamp.  Used in the Welsh Coalfields?
Kent Mining Museum, Betteshanger?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7535 on: November 05, 2022, 03:08:25 PM »
Right, this one is a stinker!  :)
The two pictures show a type of lamp which is on display in a museum in Kent.  I'd like to know the museum (which may be relatively easy to guess), but also what type of lamp is it (not what is it used for).  As a hint, they are/were uncommon in Kent.  There's a close up of part of the base which helps to determine the type of lamp, if you know!

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7534 on: November 05, 2022, 02:23:19 PM »
You have it MartinR.

A lovely little church in the woods. My wife’s parents are both buried there.

Over to you...

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7533 on: November 05, 2022, 12:09:44 PM »
West Kingsdown, St Edmund King & Martyr, Fawkham Rd.
  • Nat'l Grid:             TQ 57991 63354
  • Post Code:           TN15 6AY
  • Coords (WGS84): 51°20'50"N, 000°16'02"E or 51.34731,0.26721
For more info on the church: http://www.st-edmunds.co.uk/history.html (but note that the reference to Rochester Cathedral refers to the current building, the original goes back to AD 604).For more info on St. Edmund: http://www.st-edmunds.co.uk/st-edmund.html or of course our old friend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr
The tower holds just a single bell (weight unknown, diameter 29") cast in 1963 by Mears & Stainbrrok and hung for swing chiming.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7532 on: November 05, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »
That general neck of the woods (clue), JW, but head more northeasterly (ish).