Author Topic: Prince of Wales Railway St Chatham  (Read 6996 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: Prince of Wales Railway St Chatham
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
Yes I'm a time served man but as the UK weather is still as foul as when I came here in the 70s, I think I'll stay a while yet. :) Now Scarborough can be a bit of a cold place in the winter.... bloody freezing in fact.
But the girls hearts were warm and I spent many an hour in a pub called the Fleur de Lis or something up there. I was supposed to be installing a printing press in the Yorkshire Post machine room and there were 4 of us I think. Mike (Jock) Henderson, Mick McCarthy a Geordie and a very naughty man, myself and  little Yorkie from Doncaster.
(Mods - feel free to move this totally irrelevant stuff elsewhere if you want)
We used a pub down at the harbour quite often and one day this little trawler man shouted out, "Aye oop lads, (you know the way they speak oop north) fancy a trip out yonder to try the boat out?" Their boat had been in for some repairs. Anyway we were all for it and bought a few bottles to take with us and out to the wharf we went to board the thing.... wonderful sunny day and the water was as flat as a mill pond in the harbour but that changed drastically  once we got outside and up and down she went and Jock was over the side berleying up the fish in about 2 minutes. Mick and the Donny lad weren't much better. I've got cast iron guts for seas of all kinds so I was reasonably happy. It was funny though, time we got back in about an hour later I swear the 3 of them had been painted green they looked so bad.
Those damn trawler men couldn't stop laughing and after a while the lads soon recovered and we continued to try and drink the pub dry as per normal.
Happy days.
AlanTH.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »
I was taking the moisture lads, no offence. Never worked in a bank, I was interested in the banter.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
We did stray a bit from the original post about the PoW. But it 'twas all Mike Gs fault. :) He got me reminiscing about the fun I had in Yorkshire (and lots of other places after I finished my time at BK in '64) Oh to be I my 20s again. And a good job I had long legs and could run fast back then.
AlanTH.

I take the blame AlanTH ! Always good to chat about Yorkshire. By the way, all the time you have now served you must be due for release!

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
We did stray a bit from the original post about the PoW. But it 'twas all Mike Gs fault. :) He got me reminiscing about the fun I had in Yorkshire (and lots of other places after I finished my time at BK in '64) Oh to be I my 20s again. And a good job I had long legs and could run fast back then.
AlanTH.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
Have I strayed into the `BuildingSocietyForum` by mistake. Could I have your best ISA quote !

Silly boy!
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
Have I strayed into the `BuildingSocietyForum` by mistake. Could I have your best ISA quote !

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »
Yorkshire Alliance! I was a member of Bradford and Bingley once upon a time.... :)
AlanTH.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »
Yorkshire pud. Love it but the cook likes them done in a cake tray a dozen at a time ...... on the bbq. As for being a Frenchified southerner..... I'll have you know I'm an Ozzified one having been here for many moons now.
So our culinary habits can all be blamed on bad habits caught from down under. :)
AlanTH.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
The Yorkshire Alliance - isn't that a building society? ;D

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
That had better be a proper Yorkshire Pud, made in a baking tray (not in a muffin pan) and served with gravy before the main course.

That's the way I have it, still!

It is also a requirement of remaining a member of the Yorkshire Alliance.

Born and bred in Yorkshire until I came south as a missionary.

8)
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
That had better be a proper Yorkshire Pud, made in a baking tray (not in a muffin pan) and served with gravy before the main course.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »
Is that one of those puddings made from just flour, eggs and water?

I am sure you have heard of them before. Very powerful in the right hands.  :)
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline CAT

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
Is that one of those puddings made from just flour, eggs and water?

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »
Oi! Don't insult us missionaries who come south from God's Own County to try and civilise you Frenchified southerners. >:( >:( ;)