Author Topic: An excellent beginning  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: An excellent beginning
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
Cheers Stuart. I've just had a peep at the old forum (just to see if there has been any activity) and there were something like 280 guests viewing. This is as many guests as there are members! No idea what they are all looking at, although of course for the present there is still a wealth of information to be had there.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 07:30:11 AM »
One small adjustment that may make things a little better - could attached pictures be shown actual size, instead of having a small thumbnail you have to click on?

I'll look into that when I'm next at home (currently working away from home, in wet and windy Brighton).
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »
I do it by cutting and pasting. Go to your post on the old forum, select "Modify", select all the text in the body of the article and right click and select "cut". You will see the text disappear. Go to the new Forum and start a new post. Go to the box where the body of the article would be, right click again and select "paste" and hey presto!

Give that a go, works for me  :)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »

Going forward, I'd love to see more of the stuff on the old Forum moved over to this one as the domain license on the old one expires next year I think. Kyn stated that she is just going to let it die, so once that license expires, the old Forum will be taken down by the host and all the data on it will be lost. I'm steadily moving my articles over. Once that's done, I'll get back to researching and writing about more of 'Nelsons Navy'. I'm also looking for ways of making the Forum easier to use and would welcome suggestions for upgrades people think might be useful.

SO, if anyone reading this has articles posted on the old Forum, please please (please?) move them to this one before they're lost.

I have many posts (under another name) on the old forum, but don`t know how to move them to the new Forum, apart from retyping  -  any help would be appreciated. 

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
One small adjustment that may make things a little better - could attached pictures be shown actual size, instead of having a small thumbnail you have to click on?

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
Thank you John, that was very kind of you to say so. I'd like to thank all the members who have posted on this new Forum. It's done a lot better than I thought it would, especially considering how the old Forum came to a crashing stop in the way that it did. I noticed last night as I was moving my Chatham-built submarine articles over that we've now passed the 300 mark for the number of posts.

Going forward, I'd love to see more of the stuff on the old Forum moved over to this one as the domain license on the old one expires next year I think. Kyn stated that she is just going to let it die, so once that license expires, the old Forum will be taken down by the host and all the data on it will be lost. I'm steadily moving my articles over. Once that's done, I'll get back to researching and writing about more of 'Nelsons Navy'. I'm also looking for ways of making the Forum easier to use and would welcome suggestions for upgrades people think might be useful.

SO, if anyone reading this has articles posted on the old Forum, please please (please?) move them to this one before they're lost.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
An excellent beginning
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
The Forum is three months old and there are 118 members. Well done Stuart for your time and dedication.
I'm still more of a lurker than a doer, but I will try harder.... ::)
Congrats to all who have done their bit - here's to the forthcoming years.
Now carry on and keep posting.
Illegitimus nil carborundum