Author Topic: Bacchus incident 1925  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Colin walsh

Re: Bacchus incident 1925
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
O dear,so sorry my apology to all concerned again posting without knowing the full facts,no excuses, I promise not to publish any more .

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
Colin I am not sure the Colin Penny CDP on the old forum is the same Colin Penney of the website. There were 2 of the same age roughly with different spellings. I have a feeling Colin Penney may well be alive and kicking still. Shown as living in Sheerness not Minster as was CDP.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
Ref my post reguards mutiny,found all I asked for on the Internet ,sorry  ,a lesson to 'look before you publish'

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:57:09 AM »
Just having a look at our departed member Colin Penny's work ,wonderful,very interesting article on a mutiny at Sherness in the seventeen hundreds,.my father ,now long gone,allways claimed he was involved in a mutiny at Scapa flow during or short.y after ww1,any idea how many mutinies there has occurred in the RN,not a great deal on the Internet.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
Stuart,thanks for that,obously HMS Abercrombie could not have been involved in the Bacchus incident sorry for publishing misinformation ,

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:41 PM »
I remember a flat bottom ship with 18 in guns, moored in the river in 1953.
They stored the 18 inch guns, under the crane Goliarth, when I was detailed
to load them on a trailer, they were the last two.

That ship was HMS Abercrombie, one of a pair of Roberts Class Monitors, both of which were completed during the Second World War. Both ships were armed with a pair of 15 in guns taken from the general pool of such guns which were the most common of the Royal Navy's big-calibre guns used on Battleships and Battlecruisers during both world wars. The ships were designed and built for shore bombardment and coastal defence duties. HMS Abercrombie was laid up at Sheerness after the Second World War and remained there until she was taken to Barrow and scrapped in 1954.

Only one British Monitor ever carried an 18 in gun, HMS General Wolfe. That ship was originally built with a pair of 12 in guns, but the single 18 in gun was fitted during a 1918 refit after it had been removed from the Large Light Cruiser HMS Furious. It was subsequently used to conduct the longest-ranged firing in the Royal Navy's history, shelling a bridge at Snaeskerke, Belgium at a range of 36,000 yards (or about 20 miles). HMS General Wolfe was laid up after the First World War ended and was scrapped in 1923.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
I remember a flat bottom ship with 18 in guns, moored in the river in 1953.
They stored the 18 inch guns, under the crane Goliarth, when I was detailed
to load them on a trailer, they were the last two.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »
Got a feeling a ww1 monitor gun ship spent most of its life Moored there,I think it was used as emergency accommodation ship during ww2,my father was berthed on it for a while,name of HMS Abercrombe

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
I cruised past the spot today, and note that there are moorings slightly downstream from Thunderbolt pier which are military (I think RE).  They are well out from the bank.  If (big "if") moorings in this area were in use by naval vessels in 1925 they would appear to be "mid-stream", at least to a casual glance.  The deep water is however well out from the Strood side.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »

Offline Smiffy

Bacchus incident 1925
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »

This newspaper cutting came up in passing on a Youtube channel. There's no mention of it on the old forum so I thought I'd make a post about it here.

This is what I found on naval-history.net

Tuesday, 14 April 1925

Bacchus, RFA, water distilling vessel and store-carrier, 11 men in motor-boat returning from leave, collided with motor-lighter just before midnight, six drowned in River Medway at Gillingham

CHINN, Cyril, Able Seaman, RFA

EDWARDS, Albert, Able Seaman, RFA

RIDDLE, John, Stoker, RFA

STONEHOUSE, Cyril, Radio Officer, RFA

TUCKER, Edward, Stoker, RFA

WAKELEY, Victor Mortimer, 3rd Officer, RFA