Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1033660 times)

Offline CAT

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #265 on: November 15, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »
Afraid neither of your guess' are correct with Fordwich or Northbourne John Walker, but you are getting closer. You'll probably kick yourself when this one is got.

This manor was also given by Eadbald, but earlier than Fordwich.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #264 on: November 15, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
How about Church of St Mary the Virgin, Fordwich ?

What is thought to be part of St Thomas's Shrine is in there.   I can see some resemblance to the old photo but if it is the right church, it has changed a lot.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #263 on: November 15, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
Northbourne?  It was apparently given by Eadbald to St. Augustine's Abbey in 618.  I'm having trouble with the "part of Canterbury cathedral as one of its fixtures" unless you are referring to the skeletons of the child Princes Ethelbert and Etheldred murdered in 665.

Offline CAT

« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
Another quick clue.

The manor (not parish as it predates the establishment of parishes) this church served is regarded as one of the earliest to be given by the son of king Ethelbert to the newly established monastery of Christ-church.

Offline CAT

« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2019, 07:17:26 AM »
I can see, and like, your line thought chain John Walker, and your getting closer, but it's not At Nicholas', Ash. Further west(ish)

Offline John Walker

« Reply #260 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:34 PM »
Struggling with this one.  I usually use the tower as my first pointer ie, Spire, castellations and windows etc but as it seems this tower has been remodeled this won't help.

It seems we're looking east of Sandwich so a quick guess, St Nicholas Parish Church, Ash
?

Offline CAT

« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Afraid it's not St peter's in Sandwich MartinR, your a little to far east.

The Cathedral fixing is slightly more rarer than the bells. In fact you could say it is almost unique.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: November 14, 2019, 12:21:28 PM »
St. Peter's Sandwich?  In 1727 6 bells were purchased from Canterbury Cathedral, recast into 8 in 1779 but unringable since 1913.

Offline CAT

« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »
Only the lower two thirds of the tower remain, the top third being remodelled in the restoration.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #256 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
Does the tower remain much the same?

Offline CAT

« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
A quick clue.

The church, which dates from the twelfth-century, possesses part of Canterbury cathedral as one of its fixtures.

Offline CAT

« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
The photo is not in negative Diapason with the view being of the North side of the church as MartinR rightly deduced. It's not Teynham, but is a church in East Kent. The porch is actually concealing the North door, which is the main entrance despite it having a larger west door.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
Well the door with a porch is unlikely to be a priest's door into the chancel, so that implies the east end is to the left of the picture, the view must therefore be from the north.  I'm still no closer to identifying it though.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:25 PM »
Well the with a porch is unlikely to be a priest's door into the chancel, so that implies the east end is to the left of the picture, the view must therefore be from the north.  I'm still no closer to identifying it though.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #251 on: November 13, 2019, 06:15:01 PM »

At first I thought the negative of this church had been printed with the wrong side down on the paper, but on second thoughts, now knowing that there had been some alteration, the only church that I can think of that bears some resemblance, is St. Mary, Teynham, viewed from the south, although I don`t think it is and am very interested where this church is.