Author Topic: Pubs !  (Read 7043 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Pubs !
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »
My connection with the ` Robin Hood Pub `has no with a story on here.
My mate & I used go to motor cycling on Sundays during 1944. We were both on old bikes
 mine a Triumph 1934 - his an Ariel - well all going ok until - the Thanet Way when  I broke
down we tried to mend it, no avail - then a small car like a Morgan stopped - with two
naval officers in it ` Can we help - they looked but beyond repair. `Can we give you a lift `
when they knew where we were from. My mate left to go home on his Ariel, I accepted a
lift. we are going to stop at the ` Robin Hood pub ` for a drink -  they said. I had a wonderful
time with them - me a lad of 17 - they bought me drink - then took me - to my home.
Two nice Gentlemen.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:09 PM »
If all you wanted was a few pints and a bit of a laugh with your pals, I don't think it mattered if you couldn't buy a glass of wine!

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »

There is a reference I have found to the "Olde Fox and Hounds, Ordnance Place" which implies that it was a Beer House rather than a fully licensed pub like the New Fox and Hounds was. There is also an address of 3 Perry Street which would place it just around the corner from the New Fox - would this be correct?

I used to live in the area myself but by this time nearly all of the old Ordnance Place had been cleared. There is a real dearth of photographs of this part of Chatham which at one time was practically a little self-contained town by itself, a bit like Brompton.

Yes that's the one so it was a beer house, but they all knew it as a pub

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »

There is a reference I have found to the "Olde Fox and Hounds, Ordnance Place" which implies that it was a Beer House rather than a fully licensed pub like the New Fox and Hounds was. There is also an address of 3 Perry Street which would place it just around the corner from the New Fox - would this be correct?

I used to live in the area myself but by this time nearly all of the old Ordnance Place had been cleared. There is a real dearth of photographs of this part of Chatham which at one time was practically a little self-contained town by itself, a bit like Brompton.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
The New Fox & Hounds always seems to have had this name going back to at least 1858 - I can't find a proper reference to the original Fox & Hounds that this one may have replaced, although Perry St. was also known as Fox & Hound Lane. It may have just been a Beer house which would mean it wouldn't be indicated as such on a map. I'm not sure if The New Fox & Hounds is still there, the last I heard it had been renamed "The Fox" and has since closed. The Mason's Arms was situated next door to Bacon's Mill, although by this time only the base of the mill would have remained and was being used as a shop.

I always remember The New Fox & Hounds as being called just The Fox, The Old Fox & Hounds was i believe in Perry Street and that one was bombed. I was born after the war in a house which was one of two left after that bombing so as a kid i used to hear people talking about the old pub. Was born in Priest Dale there was only two houses left after that bombing raid ours was the only one lived in there was no road and we used the alley to Boundary Rd. My Grandfather lived in Perry Street and often told stories of the Old Fox.
---
Update
Just talked to my older brother and he confirmed the Old Fox in Perry Street was bombed and he said him and his mates helped pull it down for fire wood.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »
The New Fox & Hounds always seems to have had this name going back to at least 1858 - I can't find a proper reference to the original Fox & Hounds that this one may have replaced, although Perry St. was also known as Fox & Hound Lane. It may have just been a Beer house which would mean it wouldn't be indicated as such on a map. I'm not sure if The New Fox & Hounds is still there, the last I heard it had been renamed "The Fox" and has since closed. The Mason's Arms was situated next door to Bacon's Mill, although by this time only the base of the mill would have remained and was being used as a shop.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 08:07:06 AM »
Well it`s a small world, I used to give my dad a few quid, so as I could be with my girl friend.
Mum and dad jumped at the chance, coats on, and they were gone.
The pub --- The Rose in the Valley --
I was sent on Sunday morning, to the `off license`in the`Clarence`pub in Pagitt street,
with a big jug  to take home, full of draught beer.

I came across the `1911 Medway Pub Census. (with the owners)

https;//pubwiki.co.uk/KentPubs/Chatham/Chatham1911.shtml

Yes I also had a pint in the Clarence now and again and sometimes a pub in Ordnance St my step father and his brothers used called Mason's Arms. When I was younger I used to visit my Grandfather and he used to give me a couple of pint bottles with screw tops and I would visit The New Fox, top of Ordnance St (the original was bomb in the war) and go in the Jug & Bottle to have the bottles filled with Mild. Youngsters don't appreciate that back in the day apart from bottled beer all that was on offer was Mild or Bitter and it was affordable 

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 04:45:41 PM »
Well it`s a small world, I used to give my dad a few quid, so as I could be with my girl friend.
Mum and dad jumped at the chance, coats on, and they were gone.
The pub --- The Rose in the Valley --
I was sent on Sunday morning, to the `off license`in the`Clarence`pub in Pagitt street,
with a big jug  to take home, full of draught beer.

I came across the `1911 Medway Pub Census. (with the owners)

https;//pubwiki.co.uk/KentPubs/Chatham/Chatham1911.shtml

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
I've been sending Paul odds and ends for a while now. Attempting to record every pub that's ever existed in Kent is a mammoth task.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:17:39 AM »
Good site but needs peoples help with info and the latest news etc

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-villages/Chatham.html

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
A little cul-de-sac called Saunders Street backed onto the Rose in the Valley pub. My old uncle George lived there.
The street, like the pub, is long gone but George loved the fact that the public bar was all of 15 yards from his back gate!

Alec.

I started drinking in the Rose when I was 15 (1965) it was a great pub I always remember if anyone waited outside on a Sunday for the doors to open at 1200 they were not local and when the doors opened the pub was full, Sunday was always a back door entry. If your uncle was around then I would have known him for sure.
Smiffy, yes it was common to buy rounds in those days, can you imagine going into a pub now with 10 mates and say "it's my round" I have never earned that much money.
Pubs for me now are a rarity and miss the good old days when the price was reasonable and there was loads of pubs and they were full
still the breweries must be happy they have increased the price beyond the basic working man and the pubs have closed down.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »

I first started to frequent pubs regularly in the early '70s and even then I remember only paying about 12p for a pint of bitter! Amazingly, I see my regular watering hole in those days has somehow managed to keep its doors open.

Buying a few rounds of drinks with your mates these days must make for a pretty expensive night out.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
A little cul-de-sac called Saunders Street backed onto the Rose in the Valley pub. My old uncle George lived there.
The street, like the pub, is long gone but George loved the fact that the public bar was all of 15 yards from his back gate!

Alec.

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:11:25 AM »
FYI. 1/5 is about 7p.  (1/- = 5p,  4.8d = 2p).

Yes I was not thinking, thank you