Author Topic: Tragedy !  (Read 1372 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: Tragedy !
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »
Our paths may have crossed because, I was ordered to tug `Emulous`to relieve a greaser, who
hurt his hand, and needed medical treatment. I saw her in No 3 basin, hailed her, the skipper
said `you will have to wait to board, until I am free `. ` I chased that tug for hours, finally the
skipper came alongside a frigate, I was told to climb down this very long ladder. I was a greaser  there about two weeks, until I was relieved. Cant recall the skipper`s name. (1950 / 60 era )

Offline shoot999

Re: Tragedy !
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »
PAS Tug TID 97. The skipper and two engine room ratings died. The two seaman walked around the hull as it was turning over and were rescued shorty after.

I worked the  TIDs and other vessels at Chatham from 66-76; and then spent the rest of my life with the PAS/RMAS around the other ports until I retired in 2006.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Tragedy !
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
I was in Basin two, at the south east corner, working in a blinding SNOW storm, when the tug
assisting R.F.A. Hebe, capsized in number three basin. I did not hear about it, until I clocked off
at 4-00 pm. I could not understand the report saying `it was raining in number three basin.                              Impossible to see anything too far away ------ Temperature difference probably.