Author Topic: Watts' Place, Chatham  (Read 8644 times)

Offline CAT

Re: Watts' Place, Chatham
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »
Interesting to hear that my two pics could have been produce by a local studio. However, it was of further interest that the trimmed version of the first pic is from a book by the Kent Gazette as the extensive collection of glass plate photographs I have were supposed to have come from a local (Kentish) newspaper. There is the possibility both pics were takenfor an article entitled 'around Medway', with other street scenes included.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 07:51:47 PM »

Have a close look at the car,at the fare end ,can't remember any slope backs about till at least the early fifties

Colin,

I'm pretty convinced that the car at the end of the street is a Jowett Javelin. This model was produced between 1947 and 1953. We therefore at least have an earliest possible date for the photo.

Alec.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
Thanks Smiffy-- I wonder why I walked down Watt`s Place, from the High Street.
To get a bus from Globe Lane, I presume. It was always a pleasure walking down there.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
shoot999, thanks for that, we now have a construction date of 1831 and confirmation of the Broad Pavement name. That book sounds interesting.

Like Lyn, I have no specific memories of Watts Place, but must have walked by it a fair few times when I was a child.

Here is the Kelly's from 1933, twenty years before the other one. As you can see there are some occupants that must have been there for quite a while - in fact, some are also present in the 1926 entry.

Offline castle261

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Offline Lyn L

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
I'm not sure if I remember it , probably thinking of what was in Globe Lane if I'm honest, nice to see photo's though thank you all xx

Offline shoot999

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
I have the book 'Around Rochester. With the Dudley Studios Collection.'  (Highly recommended :) )

In the introduction it notes that they set up their studio just after the war at No 11 Watts Place before moving to St Margarets Banks in the mid 50s and ceasing trading in 2002.  It says that this area was originally used by Watts for grazing his cattle before the street was constructed in 1831 and known locally as Broad Pavement. Subsequently demolished in Dec 1961.

I wonder if the photos on this thread were taken by the studios as this is the type of work they were known for.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 01:21:05 AM »
Colin, there's no need to apologise. Keep on posting - even if your memories sometimes play tricks (don't all of us suffer from this at times?) they can still act as a prompt for other peoples recollections.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 12:26:05 AM »
Smiffy thank you for correcting me re the ivy leaf club, I know I should check all available information prior to posting ,but obviously I did not,I relied on my memory,a dangerous think in my case😁 To save any more misleading posts, and save my embaresment from now on I will restrict my posts,I thank you gents for your understanding.please keep posting the

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »
All I can say about the photo is that it was labelled as being taken in 1945 which on reflection is probably incorrect. The Kelly's from 1953 seems to pretty much correspond with the businesses seen in the picture, with the exception of Jeff's Cafe. This was still there until demolition and isn't listed in an earlier Kelly's, so perhaps the photographs actually date from a little later?

Colin, wasn't the Ivy Leaf a bit further up the High street, near the Higgins Lane entrance?

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
Have a close look at the car,at the fare end ,can't remember any slope backs about till at least the early fifties ,allso there was a drinking club on the left hand side looking up the ally "The Ivey leaf "club that opened circa1955/57.but was closed when I worked for Watts.Though the building facades remaind until demolition,by the way Watts owned the flour mill next to sun pier at one time

Offline CAT

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »
Whilst i don't know the area as well as most on here, I do have two glass plate slides in my collection showing Watt's Place, one each from either end. Interestingly, the image posted by Smiffy is a reduced version of one, which I include in its full format, with the second image looking down from the other end. Interestingly again, the pics i have are generally thought to be from the first half of the 1950's, whilst Smiffy suggests the first pic could be as early as the 1940's. Is there anything in each image that could clarify this?

Offline castle261

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 06:53:24 PM »
There was an `open day`in September, when you could visit the Almshouses ( if you had booked it )
I went one year, and was shown over a house in Watt`s Avenue + one of the bungalow`s.
Very interesting ---------- No visiting at present.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
That makes a lot of sense.  The current St Catherine's Almshouses are a "new" build from 1805.  The original was at the foot of Star Hill and was Simon Pontyn's original St Catherine's leper hospital from 1315.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
Nursing service watts Charites.
When I worked for watts Thay still had a Matron plus two nurses ,who lived in the alms houses on Maidstone road Rochester,there sole task was caring for the residents,visiting each day and twenty four hour cover of an emergency alarm system,the Matron was responsible for day to day administration of nursing staff and residents,at Watts plus three other residential establishments.
Interesting point.
During my time there I discovered port of the subterranean remains of the Nepoleonic guard house under St Cathrins Hospital top of star hill