Industry > Miscellaneous Industrial History

Measurements old and new

(1/9) > >>

Dave Smith:
grandarog. Yes, I have visited some in New Orleans & they are pretty tall. I assumed it was to keep them cooler in the Summer- from your post, obviously not. Of course we have the much more modern farce of the space shuttle made with Imperial & using some parts made in metric. Beyond comprehension!

grandarog:
In the deep South of USA (think "Gone with the Wind") the early new rich  plantation owners wanted opulent grand houses.
If you ever visit  you will find the Doors and Windows are huge and the ceilings very high,.
This was caused by the builders being given continental plans . All measurements were in centimetres which the American builders thought were inches ,hence the large scale buildings. A few were built before it was realised. :)

Bill Jones:
Thank you, have a banana  :)

Colin walsh:
Hi,mostly light hearted problems created by decimilation ,but in at least one instance change of systems had a some what different effect .
I refer to the change in ionizing radiation regulations as used in the nuclear industry.the original dose rate was based on the REM -radiation dose equivalent  man,a whole new ball game compared to CIVERTS. SYSTEM ,

smiler:
I like that Smiffy very witty       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version