Author Topic: The Sheppey Light Railway  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Nemo

Re: The Sheppey Light Railway
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
A few more views, including one with caravans, available here: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/?route=product/search&search=Leysdown&category_id=65&page=1

KeithG

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
That was probably the line for Sheerness by the dock end.
Queenborough was the first stop on the Island but just before there was a loop to Minster, Leysdown etc. without going to Sheerness but this was altered later with a platform actually at Queenborough to go to Minster or you could be on the platform that went to Sheerness then onto Minster.
For this there was a Sheerness East Station.
Of course now a Terminus and that is it.
As Pete said another loop for the pier.
In the book I am reading it all looks complicated it is even strictly not a Light Railway as it was all conventional

pete.mason

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
I think that was the spur line to the ferry Pier

Offline mmitch

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »

About 20 years ago I used to deliver around Queenborough. There was a siding just outside  that ended with a ramp which enabled cars to be loaded/unloaded from flat bed trucks. Was this the same line? It was still in occasional use then.
mmitch.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »
I wonder if there is anyone on the forum who remembers it before closure?

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
KeithG. Don't know why but only just viewed your set of photo's of Leysdown station, many thanks. I have happy memories of cycling to Leysdown many times & even swimming there. The " opening" in 1901 reminds me of the 2 Ronnies, " I know my place"! Shop floor workers, cloth cap; Office workers, boaters; Other workers, trilby; Foremen & Managers, bowler;  Bosses, an upmarket trilby or larger bowler; The Boss ( none here) top hat.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
KeithG ... a fabulous set of photos. Thanks for posting them.

Alec.

KeithG

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »
Yes just realised NW ;)
I looked on older maps and says only Little Groves Farm no sign of Loves?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
Just realised I meant to say north west not north east but I see you found it anyway. Perhaps the farm title was never officially changed and Love's was the name of the later owners and became known as such by locals?

KeithG

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »
See what you mean about Loves further to NE.
In the 1950's the turn off the main road I remember it as Loves and not Groves on the sign but was a lot smaller and on the gate but being a kid maybe not right.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
If you look on a modern OS map the area to the north east of Little Groves is Love's Holiday Camp, so at least the name still exists even if the farm doesn't!

KeithG

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »
Smiffy... Those caravans to the North of the line was Loves Farm but now a lot larger.
It is called Little Groves now.
One of my Aunts son by someone else was the owner back then and we used to stay in an old coach on the farm.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
You can trace the route of the old railway line on aerial maps - the site where the station was is still clearly visible.

pete.mason

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 04:56:54 PM »
My father was stationed at Eastchurch 1937-8. They used to hang on the outside to avoid buying a ticket. The platform and line at Queenborough station was in existence at least into 1970s

KeithG

The Sheppey Light Railway
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
End of the line at Leysdown... Opened August 1901 and closed in October 1950

I stayed at Loves Farm in around 1954 and this Station was just nearby and i used to play on the platform which was all overgrown, had no idea what it was then at 7yrs but of course i know now?