Author Topic: Reginald Wells seaplanes  (Read 15407 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Reginald Wells seaplanes
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
Mike, what you've put on here so far is great, thank you. Totally understand the reasons for not going further.  ;D
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:39 AM »
Update on Reginald Fairfax Wells.

This original post of mine was highjacked a little. After trying for some months I finally made contact with a Wells relation. He provided a letter from a son of Reginald Wells. who was actually in the picture proving the exact date of the photograph.  My date was roughly correct. The contact with the Wells family, has also enabled me to develop the material providing such a factual insight. I have also found the son, of an eye witness who saw the test flights in Otterham Creek and again could confirm the dates of those.  To those who helped, many thanks I am grateful.  I can't go any further at present, prior to publication.

Mike Gunnill
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2020, 08:33:16 AM »
I found the correct and original slipway for the seaplane testing along Otterham Creek today. Also reconfirmed the story of test days, dates and hours. Someone had kept a written record of tests, which I saw today. A good day.
Onwards.
Grateful if this detail wasn't posted on other web sites, like https://www.pprune.org If this continues I will stop posting pictures and details,  until after publications.
Many thx.
Mike

Mike, if I can stop this from happening, I will. As I've said elsewhere, copyright on this forum belongs with the author and if a picture you own has been posted elsewhere without your consent, that's a breach of copyright. I've been a victim of this myself, so I know how it feels.

Thank you Stuart and I am glad you knows how this feels.  It seems my details and information has been used on another site to get those members interested in my thread. My info is also, it seems as 'barter' to others on this other site.  With information taken from this site, a message thread was placed on another site under the name < Kent Based > Appealing for help and assistance from members on a thread currently running on this forum.  The images are my copyright with assistance of a museum in Lincolnshire. The site quoted on flickr is my site. As an ex photographer of over 50 years I have always claimed copyright on my images and images I have created. Technically as you know, all postings on this site are the copyright of the person who posts them. More than anything, I do not like this "harvesting" of my information.

I register a protest here and i have spoken to the other web site as well. In future I will not post in such an open manner anymore. This is a great shame because it helps other members as well as providing important feedback for myself.

There now has been a great deal of nonsense posted on this topic. I view the use of my images on another site as a breach of copyright on a thread asking for assistance  by a member of this forum after reading my topic.  I will not personally post on this topic again as I think it is  damaging my research and work. To other members, reading this and hanging " dirty-washing in public", I am very sorry. It all comes down to standards, this has dropped below my standard line.

Thank you to Stuart and other members who have sent me, personal messages. As one senior member here said, this could become a " Windmill Situation ".

Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2020, 11:10:48 PM »
If it adds any clarity, the images on PPRUNE appear to have been posted by a "Megan". They quote the images as coming from this site  https://www.flickr.com/photos/upchurch-village/page1

So not taken from this site, but from somewhere else that Mike had uploaded them.

For further clarification, I am not Megan, and don't know them.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
I found the correct and original slipway for the seaplane testing along Otterham Creek today. Also reconfirmed the story of test days, dates and hours. Someone had kept a written record of tests, which I saw today. A good day.
Onwards.
Grateful if this detail wasn't posted on other web sites, like https://www.pprune.org If this continues I will stop posting pictures and details,  until after publications.
Many thx.
Mike

Mike, if I can stop this from happening, I will. As I've said elsewhere, copyright on this forum belongs with the author and if a picture you own has been posted elsewhere without your consent, that's a breach of copyright. I've been a victim of this myself, so I know how it feels.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
Mike there is already a load of your stuff on that website.
I looked on there when I was trying to help you on here way back.
You have been copied and your pictures posted by people on there.
There is even a link back to this Thread on there.

I agree grandarog, but recently since June it has become worse. 
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Online grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
Mike there is already a load of your stuff on that website.
I looked on there when I was trying to help you on here way back.
You have been copied and your pictures posted by people on there.
There is even a link back to this Thread on there.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2020, 07:32:22 PM »

Onwards.

Many thx.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »
Also, we looked for the 1901 and 1911 Cencus for Wells. Has anyone looked for the same for Edward J Baker, the lad who was the potter/potential pilot?

Offline Nemo

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
I note that 'Reginald Fairfax Wells' results in two National Archives hits, a 1911 bankruptcy and Carissima's 1937 petition for divorce ("Rosa Ospovat intervening").

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 08:57:06 AM »
Smiffy, there's something else about the photo, that nobody else has mentioned yet. This item makes it unlikely to be the aircraft from the story. Extra clue. It's not anything about that DH9A itself or any appendages on it. There's something else.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
Mike, my reply had nothing to do with anything you said, it was just in reference to Cosmo's post about guessing why it can't be a seaplane.

I understand the DH9's made by Waring and Gillow were the expensive deluxe version :)

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »

It's important from planespotter point of view to note that the plane is a DH9A not a DH9. The former is slightly larger with a bigger engine and wingspan among other improvements. This becomes important when you need to know who built what and where.

Waring and Gillow and their offspring Alliance Aeroplane Co were busy with their contract to build DH9 aircraft. They were not one of the 12 companies that went on to build the DH9A.

I've been sent a nice link for images of Waring and Gillow ( Alliance ) making planes. All DH9 sorry!

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Alliance_Aeroplane_Co:_1918_Production

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »

Smiffy, apologies, the seaplane inference came from the suggestion by Mike that this image dated from 1913.

**1913**

It followed that if 1913 was the date then this image could be the claimed Upchurch/Overshore Seaplane. R.F. Wells ( and Wells Aviation) having made no other aircraft until 1915. This was why I asked for clarification of the date.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
Looks like the DH9 in the photograph has the engine either not yet fitted or removed. As for not being a seaplane, I'm pretty sure I can see the undercarriage wheels.

Smiffy: I never said the picture of Wells on the aircraft was a seaplane. A seaplane was used on early tests in Otterham Creek, Kent - which I was interested in, after speaking to several relations of a potter, called Baker. He worked for R.F. Wells. Someone along the way got the wrong end of the stick and confused the two things.

The good thing about the story, Baker had a falling out with Wells over money and stayed in Upchurch. He then founded Upchurch Pottery and stayed in the area until his death.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >