Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1009613 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #2689 on: August 09, 2020, 06:30:13 PM »
Lynsted Church ?

Offline CAT

« Reply #2688 on: August 09, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »
Town hall?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2687 on: August 09, 2020, 03:39:53 PM »
Church?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #2686 on: August 09, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
Not a house or garden .can be visited by arrangement. Swale area.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2685 on: August 09, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
Trying to narrow it down.  Is it in a house/gardens to visit?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #2684 on: August 09, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
Thankyou JW

Where did I take this of a magnificent Time Piece.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2683 on: August 08, 2020, 09:53:03 PM »
That's the place Grandarog - well done.

Many Kent bands have used Graveney Village Hall for rehearsals.   In the 70s/80s I was often there taking promo photos and advising on PA gear (I had a music shop).

As far as I know the most famous bands that rehearsed there were Wilde Flowers, Soft Machine and Caravan.  All part of the 'Canterbury Sound'.  Caravan were regulars in my shop.  The drummer, the late Richard Coughlan lived on the same estate as me and we went to primary school together.  We were good mates until the last day of Primary school.  We fell out over something trivial and ended up having a fight.  Both walked into school on our last day covered in blood and were sent home.  We went on to different secondary schools and lost touch for many years.  Richard had two pubs.  One in Ashford and more recently, The Cricketers in Canterbury.  Richard had been unwell for some time and sadly passed in 2014.   Geoff Richardson, the electric viola player and I spent many hours in the early days of home computers, learning BASIC programming.  We had Commodore Pet computers then.

Hastings, Coughlan and the Sinclairs formed Caravan Mk I in 1968, landing a deal with MGM’s Verve Forecast imprint after Island’s Chris Blackwell turned them down. Already penniless they wrote songs while living in tents pitched outside Graveney Village Hall.

https://nostalgiacentral.com/music/artists-a-to-k/artists-c/caravan/

Over to you Grandarog

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #2682 on: August 08, 2020, 08:00:41 PM »
In that case it must be Graveney. my maternal Dixon ancestors home village.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2681 on: August 08, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
Correct with village hall Pete.  Wrong side of Oare and Faversham Creeks - that should narrow it down :)

pete.mason

« Reply #2680 on: August 08, 2020, 04:40:17 PM »
Is the creek Oare? Oare Village Hall

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2679 on: August 08, 2020, 01:55:33 PM »
The band also live next to a golf course at one time.  Currently still big in Japan.  They have a UK tour booked for the rest of 2020 - Covid allowing of course.

Nothing to do with this GTP location though - however, if you guess the band then a Google search will tell you where they rehearsed in the 'early' days.

It's along a road that heads toward acres of polytunnels, a creek and also the sea.  ME13.  Next to fields and about 1/4 mile from nearest village.  The turning is between a church and a pub on a road that goes between two towns.  Railway line 1/4 mile away.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2678 on: August 08, 2020, 12:21:18 AM »
Yes, Shoot999. somewhere bands use for loud practice due to it being very remote. Not officially a rehearsal room - it has another main use for the local area.  Hiring it out for rehearsals is a nice little earner for the upkeep.

One band that used it in the 70s went on to be very successful. Quite a number of albums.

ME13.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2677 on: August 03, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
A recording studio or rehearsal rooms?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2676 on: August 03, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »
Back to GTP.

Nothing to do with Astra DTT as you say - it's all gone now.
Nothing to do with the gunpowder explosion Stewie but you are getting closer with the location.

Further Clue: Music

Offline John Walker

« Reply #2675 on: August 03, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Sorry ,nothing to do with "guess the place" looking to all you ex dockyard Mates now,seeking information on x craft submarine allegedly built during ww 2,some where in the yard?apparently constructed under great security,there is no official information at all in the current records,in fact according to one source it may never have existed?
My own information came from an inspector of shipwrights ,he said that he had worked on it as an aprentis,I believe the gent to be honest  no notorious "mess room"wined up merchent.😎It's definantly not on any official lists of Chatham built boats (see Bilgrats list) my interest comes from something I heard on the radio recently,a gent talking about his fathers war time occupation,involving special batteries being made for a "midget"submarine "being built in a naval dockyard.
Just thought it would be interesting to follow,maybe unearth a little bit of chat hams secret history

Hi Colin,  Sounds interesting but why not start a new thread?  I'm sure there's a dedicated section for that subject in general.

Just checked - there are eight sub sections under Maritime History - you could generate a lot of interest in one of those.  Good luck.