Author Topic: Unidentified Church  (Read 2763 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Unidentified Church
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:41 PM »
You can put it on the General Discussion board Smiffy.  :)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
There was a thread I started in the old forum called "Unidentified Photographs" so I would agree that a similar topic here would be a good idea.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
Take a look at:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=bfa82d8e-f283-4530-9167-47c35b016b95&cp=51.389998~0.398765&lvl=20&dir=270&style=g&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Obviously the angle is different, but the two ventilation slots in the East end, the configuration of the tower, and the chimneys on the college all agree with the original.

Offline CAT

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
Maybe a new topic heading could be started of 'Where could this be?'. I know I have many pictures reputed to be Kent, but I still can's work out where.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
I've just been around and had a look.  At first I thought it couldn't be Cobham, the turret stair was in the wrong place, but then I realised it was taken from the East, not the West.  Two ranges of almshouses can certainly confuse a bear of small brain!  I tried to get a view from the East, but there are modern houses and more trees in the way.  Further down the hill you can't seen the superimposition of the chancel roof in front of the tower, but otherwise it looks like CAT was spot on.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 11:47:40 PM »
Looking at photographs of Cobham church I'd say you're spot on. The windmill would probably be just out of shot to the right.

Offline CAT

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »
Looks like Cobham church from the east with the former medieval college, now alms houses, to the left. Certainly the pitch of the chancel roof looks the right shallow pitch as does the multiple chimneys of the alms houses.

Offline Smiffy

Unidentified Church
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »

This is one of those pictures you stumble upon occasionally where the location is unidentified, but known to be somewhere in kent. There is, however a church in the background that may give a clue to its location and perhaps one of our members could identify it through this. I've added a cropped and sharpened enlargement which may help.