Author Topic: Christ Church Luton Chatham  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
Re: Christ Church Luton Chatham
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 06:47:20 PM »
The final service was Easter 1982 and demolition started shortly afterwards..

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
What year was the 1884 church demolished?

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »

Yes the first picture is that of the original church. This the 1st church became the church hall when the new (2nd ) Christ Church was built, interestingly there was no record of the 1st church ever being deconsecrated so technically it remained a church. The 3rd church in 1984 was turned 90 degs to make better use of the site and also to overcome some of the foundations issues. At one point consideration was given to rebuilding on the old graveyard site on the foot print of the 1st church but it was too small and the graves would have been a problem during construction.

The plaques of the WWII were removed in recent years probably 11 years ago and put inside the new building to avoid them being stolen. At my last visit in March this year they were still inside the building.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
This is the 1884 Church - probably taken shortly before demolition.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
Lutonman, isn't the photo of the church you have posted the one that predates the 1884 one?

The photo is definitely not of the 1884 church.

I liked the 1884 church, a cousin of mine was married there in the early 1970s. It is a pity that this fine looking building lasted for less than 100 years. From reading the description of the foundations, its maybe not surprising!
Meanwhile in the later 1950s yours truly was schooling at the Luton Junior school annexe just a few yards along the road. I'm sure I can remember a few occasions of creaking and groaning from that schoolhouse. Maybe it too had inadequate foundations sitting on that clay/chalk base?
One day, following an almighty crash from above, the caretaker (Mr. Hancock?) scaled a ladder into the attic and reported fallen masonry from around the chimney lining.

Alec.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Hi Lutonman, do you know whatever became of the bronze plaques recording the names of the parishioners killed during the Great War? These were formally mounted on the Lych Gate but removed I understood, due to vandalism including spray paints. The last I was aware, there were waiting restoration.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
Lutonman, isn't the photo of the church you have posted the one that predates the 1884 one?

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
Christ Church Luton Chatham
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »